Reclaimed Wood Christmas Tree

Where does the time go?  It's the last day of July and that means today I'm sharing my last Christmas in July project.  I love using reclaimed wood (aka pallet wood) in projects and this one is a new version of a project I made two years ago.  
The original was a set of 3 trees.  You can read about them HERE.  I had an extra vintage Playskool block that I split while hammering in the nail. (I was SO mad at myself) I glued it back together and decided it would be used in another project.  
Before the split.  
Since I'm talking about the block, I'll tell you about that process first, even though I did it after the tree was done.  The tree had a lighter finish so I whitewashed the block with craft paint thinned with water.  I brushed it on.
Then wiped the block with a cloth until I had the look I wanted.
Done!
I love the vintage Playskool logo!
Moving on to the tree.  I dry-brushed white paint on the tree and then lightly went over it with walnut stain.  I forgot to take pictures of this process, but you can see it HERE with this project.  There are a variety of looks you can get depending on the wood you use, the amount of paint, and the amount of stain. Give it a try!
Using the tree, some glue, and a scrap of trim, it was time to get started.
The tree was wrapped with the trim to determine placement.  Since the piece was small, I had to cut 3 pieces.  There would be no wrapping it completely around the tree.  
I had very little leftover.
Some Tacky Glue was applied to each piece. 
They were place on the tree.
A wooden star was painted with antique gold paint.
It was then glued to the top of the tree.
The tree was glued on to the vintage nail in the block and it was done.

I'd love to make more and I have more pallet wood, but, I don't have anymore vintage Playskool blocks.  Maybe I'll find something else.  Stay tuned, you never know what I'll do!

Christmas in July is concluded for this year.  I hope you've enjoyed the projects and I've inspired you to get a head start on some Christmas crafting.  Thank you for being a part of this fun series of posts.  Your comments mean the world to me!

If you missed my other Christmas in July projects, Here are the links:






Featured at:




Comments

  1. Me encantan estos tipos de trabajos.
    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lirtea. I'm so glad you like it!

      Delete
  2. This is adorable, Ann!! Love the block, the preschool teacher in me is smiling!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those old blocks, too! I wish I had more of them.

      Delete
  3. I love everything about this tree Ann. The Playschool is the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy. I love that block too!

      Delete
  4. Ann,
    what a great transformation!! I had planned to start some Christmas crafting this month but got caught up in those landscaping projects and now we have more to do as 2 neighbors asked us to do their yards!!! Like a snow ball rolling down a hill, getting bigger and bigger...LOL! Thanks for visiting!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie. At this rate, Joe and you are going to have to start a landscaping business! Don't work too hard, my friend!

      Delete
  5. Now that's a cute Christmas tree!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it, Cindy, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I love Christmas in July! I'm saving this for a future project - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. I'm so glad you're saving it!

      Delete
  7. This is so cute! I love it! I wish I could find wood palettes. I have seen so many tutorials that I want to try. If anyone has ideas on where to get them, let me know! Thanks for sharing on Traffic Jam Weekend at LifeasaLEOWife.com!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Niki. You can usually find pallets for free from roofers, construction and other companies. Some stores will also give them to you - just ask!

      Delete
  8. Great project. Thanks for the inspiration for the upcoming season. #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna. I think the holidays will be here before we know it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break Out Those Wine Corks!

Wine Cork Wreath

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

No More Polycrylic for My Tables!