Vintage Table Clock Upcycle

  Welcome back to the 'Do It Over' Designers blog hop. We are a group of bloggers who love to recycle/upcycle/DIY.  I'm happy to host this hop and I hope you'll visit everyone to see what they have to share with you.  Their links will be listed at the end of this post.
In addition, Christmas in July continues at The Apple Street Cottage with a fun upcycle project.  

This project got its start about five years ago.  The clock frame was found at an estate sale at the bottom of a box of junk.  It was dirty, the finish was ruined, and it came home with me.  I can't find the original picture of it but I can tell you it went through a few trials.  

First it was painted white.  No good.  

Then black.  Still no good.  

Distressed edges?  Nope!  

So it sat looking like this:
So sad!

I found it again about two years ago and finally had an idea for it.  Unfortunately, I needed something else to complete my idea and a few weeks ago I finally found these:
It was time to put the plan in motion!
The entire frame was painted with red chalk paint and antique gold was used for an accent.
After sealing it with polycrylic, it was time to turn it into a piece of Christmas decor.  
I cut a piece of scrapbook paper slightly larger than the back opening of the frame.
I used tape to attach it - in case I ever want to change it to something new.

Using a cracker box, two pieces of cardboard were cut to fit inside.
They would serve as the base for those Christmas people I recently found at a yard sale.
Some glue was applied to the bottom of each set of figurines.
They were left to dry.
I grabbed a cotton ball.
And applied glue to the cardboard.
The cotton was added to make it look like snow.
Both sets were done in minutes.
When they were dry, they each took a turn being featured in the frame.
The Carolers:
The Snowball Fight:
But something else was needed.  The background was a little too empty, so I found a wooden snowflake.
I painted it white, added a little sparkle, and attached it to the background.
Here's the snowball fight:
Much better!
Time for a close-up:


Close-up #2:
Finally this clock frame had a repurpose.  Sadly it took five years, but, better late than never, right?

What do you have sitting in a closet or box waiting to be repurposed?  Maybe we can brainstorm some ideas!
Be sure to stop back next week for one more Christmas in July project.  I think it's my favorite! 
 
In the meantime, it's the 'Do It Over' Designers blog hop and everyone has great ideas.  Be sure to visit - the links are all listed below.



Exquisitely Unremarkable

Little Vintage Cottage

Modern on Monticello

Purple Hues & Me

Southern Sunflowers

Unique Creations by Anita

The Apple Street Cottage

Birdz of a Feather


Featured at:







































Comments

  1. Ann, that is just the sweetest and totally worth the wait. Almost makes me wish for a little bit of snow right about now....almost!! Haha!! Happy Christmas in July and thanks for hosting the hop!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess some ideas just take time.....even years! LOL Thank you so much for being a part of this hop!

      Delete
  2. We're on the same wavelength this month with clock frames! Yours is fabulous as Christmas decor; definitely worth waiting for! Those Christmas scenes sure are getting me into the spirit; you always find the best things to upcycle. Thanks so much for hosting Ann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara. I'm so glad you're part of this hop. I wonder what we'll do next time! lol

      Delete
  3. Yes, you're right, Ann! Your clock frame has found the perfect home with your Christmas scenes! Looks like you had a fun time decorating it too! Looks fantastic and fabulous! Happy Christmas in July crafting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gail. Once I figured out what to do with it, the project was a lot of fun!

      Delete
  4. This is so cute. I love it.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope you'll stop by again soon for more of my projects.

      Delete
  5. Ann this is a fantastic project! I want to find a frame now to fo this with my tou.

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy. There are many possibilities for clock frames....I have more ideas swirling in my head!

      Delete
  6. I love this! I always pick up old clock frames like that, they make the coolest little shadow boxes!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are great - and a lot of fun to create! I think I need to find a few more.....

      Delete
  7. Your makeover looks wonderful! Your figurines are the perfect fit for you clock frame. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Allyson. I was so excited when I found those figurines at a yard sale. I knew I could finally get this project done!

      Delete
  8. Very clever - I love this project and would never have thought of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This project is just too cute, the clock frames were a great find as were the vintage looking figurines. I really love how you put it all together it looks very retro and does put me in the mood for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anita. There's nothing like getting a 'head start' on Christmas!

      Delete
  10. Ann, I stopped at the first photo, and wondered what was this structure originally, before you made it into a cute Christmas holiday themed decoration.
    Taking an old clock and turning it into a vintage/retro design was wonderful. Now you have something with a unique look!
    Thanks for pulling the hop together.
    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is a unique design for a clock. That's why I wanted it when I first found it at the bottom of a box. I love this hop and I'm so glad you're part of it!

      Delete
  11. Okay, I seriously love this project. I won't walk past an old clock in a thrift store again without looking at how to recreate it in to something as beautiful as your project. So glad you decided to stick with it even after 5 years. The project is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Donna. When I found it, I knew it could be something else. It just took five years to figure it out! lol

      Delete
  12. Great idea! This turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Zenda! I hope all is well with you.

      Delete
  13. Oh my word Ann, this is so adorable! What a great idea for upcycling an old clock frame. I love both holiday themes but the snowball fight is just too stink'n cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie. When I found both sets at a yard sale, I couldn't grab them fast enough!

      Delete
  14. Such a cute makeover. Thanks for sharing on Handmade Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you patiently waited for the project to find its way to what it eventually became!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Michele. Although, I'm not sure about the patience part!

      Delete
  16. That is SO clever! I love the frame & how you painted it. How you came up with all those pieces & they fit perfectly together. Just looks like it was made to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Once the plan formed in my brain, it was just a matter of time before I found everything I needed. I'm currently searching for the final pieces for another project. Hopefully I'll find them sooner!

      Delete
  17. This is darling Ann! I love to repurpose things as well, sometimes it takes a while to figure out what needs to be done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Marilyn, and yes, you are correct. This project really took its time, though!

      Delete
  18. This is beautiful! Giving me all of the warm, cheery holiday vibes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alexandra. The holidays will be here before we know it!

      Delete
  19. Ann,
    I could have sworn I commented on this already but anyway, thanks so much for visiting! I LOVE what you did here with these cute figures!! So charming!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been the link party post. Thanks, Debbie!

      Delete
  20. What a brilliant idea and transformation. Featuring when my link party opens up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carol. You made my day!

      Delete
  21. These are the perfect holiday upcycle project.
    Have a great weekend,
    Kippi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kippi. It's never too early to start Christmas projects!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break Out Those Wine Corks!

Wine Cork Wreath

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

No More Polycrylic for My Tables!