The Book Witch
This project began over the summer and was inspired by a Christmas project from when I was a little girl. Who remembers making angels from the Montgomery Ward catalog? Folded pages, silver spray paint, and a styrofoam ball for the head? Sound familiar?
I decided to make a Halloween version using an old book.
Behold, the Book Witch!
Little did I know Book Witches were 'a thing' until I started talking about them and Pinterest started listening. Guess what started showing up all over my feed? They used wooden balls for the head and pipe cleaners for hair and arms but I made mine a little differently using materials I already had stashed away.
Welcome to the 'Do It Over' Designers blog hop. We are a group of bloggers who love to recycle/upcycle/DIY. I'm happy to host this hop and I hope you'll visit everyone to see what they have to share with you. Their links will be listed at the end of this post.
I used a book that had seen better days.
The first fold was made.
Then the second.
And the third.
Over and over and over again!
When enough pages were folded, some orange paint was dry-brushed on the edges.
It was time for the head and I didn't have a wooden ball that was the right size, so I used what I had - a egg-shaped one.
A hole was drilled in the bottom.
Large enough for that small dowel to fit. The dowel was glued into the book pages and some green raffia was added for hair.
A hat was needed next, so I made a pattern and created a hat from felt.
After a little embellishing with ribbon and a flower, the hat was placed on her head.
Then a piece of ribbon was added to the space between her head and body.
Next, a felt square became a cape.
Two buttons were added.
...and a bow.
Every witch needs a broom so I cut a strip of paper and began gluing on pieces of raffia.
Before you run off, don't forget this is a blog hop and the rest of the team has some amazing upcycle/recycle/did-it-over projects to share with you. The links are all listed below:
Raffia was added until it was nice and thick.
With a little hot glue, it was added to a stick.
A broom with a little jute wrapped around it!
The broom and a black cat, cut with my Maker were added to the front and the Book Witch was complete!