Three Little Trees

It's no secret that I love to repurpose items and use reclaimed/pallet wood, so when I spotted these wood blocks at an estate sale, a plan began to form.  
The second part of the plan involved the square nails, also found at the same estate sale:
So I grabbed the scraps of pallet wood that I refused to toss and started drawing some triangles with my speed square.
My jigsaw made quick work of them - sorry, no pics.  I like my fingers and my hands are on the saw when it's operating.  I'm sure you understand!
After a little sanding to smooth any rough edges, holes were drilled in the bottom of each tree to accommodate the 'trunks'. 
The 'trunks'?
Remember those blocks?  Let's talk about them.
They were vintage children's blocks made by Playskool.  I did nothing to them but drill a hole through each one. 
Since I was using vintage square nails, I didn't want the blocks to split when I hammered them in.
The square nails went through easily.
This is how the trees looked before paint.  I 'eyeballed' the depth of the holes in the trees so the trunks wouldn't disappear.
The trees were then painted, distressed, and sealed.  
Small wooden stars were painted gold and glued to the tops.
A few drops of super glue in each hole and the trees were attached to the bases.  A jute bow was tied around the nail (trunk) of each tree and they were done.

This entire project took one afternoon, and I love that they are made from mostly reclaimed materials.  What projects have you been working on?  
Thank you so much for stopping by.  I hope you are enjoying this holiday season...come back again soon!

Update:  I made a new version of these trees.  You can see it HERE.


I hope you'll pin, share, comment, and follow.  If you click on those 3 little lines at the top left of the blog, you'll see where to find me...or click on the icon below to share.

Comments

  1. These are very cute. Sanding the paint gave them great texture.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That's the great part about pallet/reclaimed wood - the texture!

      Delete
  2. These are very sweet! You did a great job of them. #HandmadeMonday

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet...I love their rustic look. And I had those blocks when I was small!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those blocks too, Kim. I wish I had more of them!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous. Just the sort of rustic look I love.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the beauty of pallet/reclaimed wood. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen. I'm so glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  6. Simple and yet beautiful. How do you "distress paint" - just sandpaper or is there more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanne. Distressing, for me, is just sanding after the paint is dry. I usually do it by hand with a sanding block until I get the look I want. I hope that helps!

      Delete
  7. Ann, these are adorable... I saw these at Make It Pretty Monday... I hope we get to see them at TTA this week! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfectly rustic! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these little wooden trees, they're so cute. Thanks for sharing with To Grandma's House We Go, I'll be featuring you next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chas. I appreciate the feature!

      Delete
  10. Awww! These little wooden trees are ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Veronica. I'm so glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  11. These cute rustic trees are some great for decorating. I would use them all winter.
    Merry Christmas,
    Kippi
    Ps. Please share them on my site at the You're The Star blog hop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kippi. I think you're right, they could stay up all winter!

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful reclaimed Christmas project! It makes it all the more special using the vintage items to create the trees. I'm visiting from Funtastic Friday and I shared #113 and #114. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these. They are so cute. I'm surprised you could find those blocks. I never saw them out and about when I taught. I would have bought them for my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were only a few of them at the estate sale, but I remember them from my early teaching days

      Delete
  14. I love your trees. Pinned for next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for pinning - so glad you like them!

      Delete
  15. These are so cute, and perfect for Christmas or winter decor! Thanks for sharing at Tuesday Turn About... the party returns from the Christmas break this Tuesday, 1/7. Hope to see you there, and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break Out Those Wine Corks!

Wine Cork Wreath

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

No More Polycrylic for My Tables!