Vintage Kitchen Scale

This vintage scale has been sitting in my craft room for almost a year - do you do things like that too?  Anyway, it was time to get it out and DO something with it!  I found it at the Estate Sale that I went to 4 TIMES - Yes, you read that right.  Clearly I need help, but you should click over there to see why I went back so many times.  
This was one of the treasures I found and, as you can see, the top was twisted, the paint was chipping, there was rust, and it was only $3 - truly, a bargain!  
Fixing the twisted top was the easy part.  After straightening it, one quick turn of that screw in the middle took care of the problem,  I love easy fixes....if only they were all like that!
The next issue was the chipping paint and rust.  
Let's face it, the paint probably has lead in it and it's chipping.  Not being one to take away patina or try to make something old look new, I took it outside and cleaned it with soap and water and an old rag.  I was careful not to touch the dial because it was paper.
Often the dials are painted on, but not this one!
After it dried, I taped and papered the rest of the scale - no chipping paint there.
The rust spots were much smoother and it was now time to seal everything in, including the bottom where the edges were also chipped and rusted.
Two coats of clear sealer and the old paint and rust were no longer a problem.  
A little shinier, but I'm OK with that.
So, now it sits on the shelf all 'gussied-up' for Fall!
It's so nice to have things that remind me of my friend, Lynn.  Her estate sale was bitter-sweet but I think she'd be happy knowing that some of her things are in my home and treasured. 

Do you decorate with found treasures, antiques, and vintage items?    


I hope you'll pin, share, comment, and follow.  If you click on those 3 little lines at the top left of the blog (on the Home page), you'll see where to find me...or click on the icon below to share.


Featured at:
Thursday Favorite Things - Shoestring Elegance








Comments

  1. that is perfect for your festive vignette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patti. It was time to display it!

      Delete
  2. I have an old vintage scale like this but mine is a “Hansen” brand. It’s rustic white with a red scale top. I love it! I use it occasionally but it mainly sits on my counter for looks. I love how you decorated around yours.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too, Lisa, and I actually have another one that is red - that I do use for weighing! This one had been sitting around far too long and needed to be used.

      Delete
  3. My kind of lady, sealing in good stuff. Love doing that!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old things shouldn't be made to look new, but that chipping paint had to be sealed. Thanks so much for stopping by, Cindy!

      Delete
  4. Looks fantastic! What a great memory - and I think your friend would, indeed, be very pleased!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. I hope she is...I know she laughed at me going back so many times!

      Delete
  5. Ann,
    Looks lovely how you styles it with the pumpkins...I have a vintage scale in my Kitchen and I love it!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie. I love vintage scales. I also love that they still work!

      Delete
  6. Your scale looks happy surrounded by all those lovely pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, doesn't it? Thanks for stopping by, Michelle!

      Delete
  7. Scales are one of my favorite🙌🏻 I’d luv for you to share with us over at Charming Homes and Gardens Link Party👉🏻https://www.dabblinganddecorating.com/post/2020/03/31/charming-homes-gardens-wednesday-link-party

    ReplyDelete
  8. That turned out great! I have one of those scales in my garage. It had been my mom's, and I've wanted to decorate with it, but I didn't know where to start. So, thanks for these tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time to dig it out, Pam and you can change it for each season. So glad you stopped by - come back again soon!

      Delete
    2. You've inspired me to get it out and actually enjoy it! I've featured this at the TFT party. :)

      Delete
    3. I'm so glad, Pam. Treasures like this are meant to be enjoyed! Thank you so much for the feature.

      Delete
  9. It is a really cool piece!
    www.chezmireillefashiontravelmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's looking so cool. May I learn how old is it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great find Ann! I think your friend would be thrilled to see it in your home. Looks adorable with the pumpkins. I need a hubby who is an "enabler!" Where do you find those????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise. An Enabler Hubby can be hard to find....I think mine should be giving classes on how to be one! LOL I'm so glad you stopped by - Come back again soon!

      Delete
  12. What a great find! Thank you for sharing at Charming Homes and Gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad this little scale got your attention. It looks so nice as the focal for your Autumn decorating. Thanks for linking up with me.

    Michelle
    https://mybijoulifeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Michelle. Always a pleasure to visit your link party!

      Delete
  14. Ann, that's a stunning transformation ! Thank you for sharing with us at Meraki Link Party.
    Naush

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE old farmhouse scales -- this one was a treasure! I bought one on eBay years ago and never regretted it! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm. Pinned! xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too! Now that I have two of them, I think I may be starting a collection!

      Delete
  16. Ann, I love your beautiful scale! Wish I had one of my own. Thank you so much for sharing with us at the TFT party! I am featuring you this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I find another one, I can always send it to you....I've been known to do things like that!
      Thank you so much for the feature, Theresa.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break Out Those Wine Corks!

Wine Cork Wreath

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

No More Polycrylic for My Tables!