Just One More Estate Sale....

Update:  See the Winter Scene Light Box HERE.
               I'm still working on the other projects, I'll update when they're completed.

....for the season.  I promise...well, maybe!  It all started two Saturdays ago when I sat down and opened up a facebook yard sale page.  I saw the address posted and it was very familiar to me.  Then it dawned on me, this address was my neighbor from when we were between houses and renting.  Lynn was a sweet lady who used to sit on her back porch and watch me work with my jigsaw in the backyard. It was heartbreaking to realize that she had passed away.  

This sale was being conducted over two weekends.  It was the second day of the first weekend of the sale and I knew I wanted to buy something to remind me of Lynn.  So I grabbed my hubby and off we went.  
Her house, that was built in the late 1800's, was packed with so many treasures:  glassware, furniture, linens, pictures/frames, quilts, antique toys, vintage clothes, dress forms, wicker baby carriages...the list goes on and on.  The people running the sale told us her children wanted none of it and there were still three rooms that they hadn't even opened yet!  Keep in mind, this was the last few hours of the first weekend.  
The first thing to catch my eye was this magazine rack in the dining room.  I didn't take a close look or say anything since the room was packed and there was SO MUCH to take in.
We continued walking through the house to one of the bedrooms, where I spotted this:
Not being a fan of doll furniture, I normally wouldn't give this a second look, but the thought of turning it into a unique jewelry box immediately came to mind.  As I bent down to pick it up, my husband saw this one:
He quickly added that it would be a shame to break up the set.  Have I mentioned he MIGHT be a bit of an enabler???  At $5 each, I found my pieces that would always remind me of Lynn. 

I also spotted a gorgeous wicker baby carriage in the same room, but I truly don't have room in my house and the price tag was $70.  Did I mention the wicker was absolutely perfect??? 

I went downstairs to pay for my doll dressers and as we were talking to the gentlemen running the sale, I spied that magazine rack again.  
I asked how much?  
They said $5.  
My husband said it was ugly.  
I said, "Sold!".  
We left with 3 items!
I texted pictures of my finds to my friend (who's as crazy as I am about yard/estate sales) and told her we had to go next weekend.  It was going to be 3 days - Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  She couldn't wait!
Friday arrived and so did we - for two & a half hours!  Three more rooms were open and the first things I spied were these boxes of nails:
I had no idea what I was going to do with them, but I wanted them.  Then I spotted a wrought iron candle light fixture..... and they started a pile for me.  At the end of the two & a half hours this is what I had:
Vintage hat
Footstool
Scale
Light fixture
Children's blocks
Ironing board
Vintage reading book
Vintage sewing patterns
Vintage square nails
Wooden Box with winter scene - more about that later.
I got it all for $20.
Here are a few close-ups:


This is the wooden box I mentioned.  I've never seen anything like it.  It lights-up and, sadly, the scene inside was broken in half.  I HAD to have it!

It's important to mention that the perfect baby carriage was still upstairs and now priced at $20.  It broke my heart to leave it behind....  
My friend and I agreed we would go back on Sunday (the last day) at the last hour to see what deals we could get.  
Home I went to share my treasures.  I did mention that the baby carriage was still there and marked down to $20, adding that we really didn't have the room and it was OK.  After dinner, my husband asked me if I wanted the baby carriage.  I said I really did, but there was nowhere to put it without our rooms being overcrowded.  Again I told him it was OK and it wasn't mentioned again.  

Saturday morning, my husband looked at me and said if I wanted the carriage, we should go get it.  We could always rotate things out of the living room for it.  Did I mention he might be an ENABLER???
By the time we got there, it was already noon and I was fully prepared for that carriage to be gone.  Up the stairs I went and into the bedroom.  It was still there!  We carried it down the stairs, I payed the man and we left.  This was my 3rd trip to this sale.  Oh, Lynn, I'm sure you were laughing at me!
Isn't it beautiful?

Sunday afternoon, my friend and I arrived for the last hour of the sale.  Even though the house was emptying out, there was still a lot left.  I truly didn't need anything, and, let's face it, I'd already spent enough, but, I started digging through the room full of linens.  Recently, I acquired a vintage dress form - something I've been wanting for years.  There had to be something in all of those linens that I could use.  For $2 I walked away with a trash bag full of linens including:
2 full slips
3 half slips
3 nightgowns
1 bed jacket
satin fabric - over a yard
lace fabric - over a yard
lace trim - over a yard
2 neck collars
dresser scarf
4 pillow cases/covers
apron inset with lace
baby blanket 
flannel blanket - twin size
apron to make
Chanticleer kitchen towel
2 lace angels
Here are some close-ups:



I see lots of projects in that bag!
Four trips to the same Estate Sale over 2 weekends - Yes, I need help, but I'm so excited about the treasures I found.  I hope Lynn is pleased that some of her things will be loved for years to come rather than sitting in a dealer's store to be sold.
Be sure to stop back soon, because I've started the repairs on that wooden box and the dress form has been dressed.  I can't wait to show them to you!

Wishing you a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments

  1. What a nice way to be able to remember your friend. I'm sure you'll think of her whenever you see one of her treasures. You sure got a lot of great stuff...and those slips? They don't make them like that anymore. Precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly will, Kim, and I just know she was laughing at me when I walked through her door the fourth time! Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  2. This special, you'll look at these pieces and have thoughts of your friend. The nails are something that I would want and no idea what I would do with them. They are rare and neat and a display of them in a basket with linens would be neat.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn was a sweet lady and I'm honored to have some of her things. Thank you for the idea of displaying the nails. I never would have thought of that!
      Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  3. I love this post! My husband is an enabler, too! Aren't we blessed to have them! Thanks for sharing your finds! My favorite is the black kitchen scale!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three cheers for husbands that enable! lol

      Delete
  4. A lovely way to remember your friend. I love the idea of the doll's house furniture as jewellery boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. I haven't decided on the exact plan for them, but I guarantee they'll be an upcoming post!

      Delete
  5. Such treasures to remember your treasured friend. I have that same baby carriage but it is doll size. It actually started out as my sisters, then I came along 10 yrs later to play with it. We grew up on a farm...dolls, uh no. More like cats dressed like babies...sometimes chickens! It was passed to my daughter when she came along. She used it for her dolls....and a cat or two;)
    Ah memories. I still have it, not sure what to do with it. I have one granddaughter and would love to pass it on to her, but everything in that house gets trashed - so sad. Oh well, maybe one day. Exciting sale to say the least!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be used as decor in my house. I'm still working on the details, but, I'll post when it's done!

      Delete
  6. I read through this WHOLE post, and loved every second of it! Your hubby is very kind to 'enable' you. ;-) Have fun with your haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie, he really is the best! I'm sure I'll have fun - lots of projects and lots of posts!

      Delete
  7. Wow, some great pieces. The pram is my favourite 😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Pink Saturday, Ann. Thank you for joining us, and for sharing this touching shopping experience. I love treasures that I associate with friends and family.

    This post is being featured in my Pink Saturday post this week as "the one that caught my eye".♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beverly. I love treasures that have a story to tell. I'm so happy this story caught your eye!

      Delete
  9. Absolutely love all of your treasures! What a wonderful find and happy memories. I remember going to our dear neighbors estate auction. The prices were much, much higher.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn. The prices were higher the first weekend of the sale. My friend and I went the last weekend, when the prices dropped, and then the last 2 hours, where we really got the deals!

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous vintage finds! I love being able to find treasures and often times with the help of my sweet hubby too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Connie. I'm always happy to hear that someone else has a husband who supports their 'addiction'! Lol

      Delete
  11. What a lovely way to remember your friend and make sure some of her belongings are treasured! Thanks for sharing on Farm Fresh Tuesdays! I hope to see you again this week!
    PS...I have a wonderful giveaway going on this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great ways to remember a friend. I love all your treasures! Thanks for linking up with us at the GATHERING OF FRIENDS LINK PARTY 10

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ann,
    I love this post and your recent one on the scale that you refurbished that you bought at this sale...I frequently mention my neighbor Elly and a lot of her things that now grace my house..This post reminded me of her and how I know she would be thrilled that so many of her treasures are now in my house!! Thanks so much for sharing this!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read your posts about Elly. Although I didn't know Lynn as long as you knew Elly, I couldn't let all of her treasures go to strangers and/or dealers.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break Out Those Wine Corks!

Wine Cork Wreath

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

No More Polycrylic for My Tables!