Introducing Rosie.....

....or is it Daisy? I can't decide, but more about that later.  A vintage dress form has been on my wish list for years, actually, since my college days, but whenever I found one it was either not for sale or way out of my price range.  Well, I found one and of course, there's a story......

It all started in October, when I was in Joann's and discovered they still had that lacy spider fabric I used for my wire pumpkin.  Since it was on clearance, I decided to grab a couple of yards 'just to have'....you know what I mean, right? 
The woman cutting it for me asked what I was going to do with it.  I told her that someday I was going to find a vintage dress form and use it to dress her for Halloween. 
She said, "I have one and I'm having a yard sale this Saturday." 
I almost fell over. 
She asked me for my phone number so she could text me a picture and then wrote down her name and address so I could come to her sale.  Could it get any better?
Her name was Lisa and I asked her how much she wanted for it, thinking this would be the deal-breaker
She shrugged and said, "Twenty bucks."
At this point I figured I was being punked and was waiting for the camera crew to come out of hiding, but, no, she was serious.

I 'floated' all the way home. What were the chances of this happening?  This was Wednesday and by Friday night I still had not heard from Lisa. 

Feeling a little discouraged, I planned to be at her yard sale as soon as it started.  
Bright and early Saturday morning my hubby and I arrived at her house where there was one folding table outside with some baskets, vases, and bowls, and not a soul in sight. 
I wasn't exactly encouraged, but I wanted that dress form, so we got out of the car and walked across her yard to the table.  She must have seen us, because the front door opened and there was Lisa smiling and waving! She told us to come on in and she'd get the dress form for me. This is what she brought out:
With white tape and close to the ground, I wanted to make sure the dress form would go up and stay up.  She reached underneath and raised the form with the key.  Here's a peek:
I gave her a twenty dollar bill, and my husband loaded it into the car. I finally had my dress form after SO many years!

On the way home, we had a discussion about a name.  The first one to come up was Rose.  Then Rosie.  But I also liked Daisy.  The discussion continued on facebook and instagram, where combining the two names was suggested - Daisy Rose.  Trying to get a consensus was difficult so we just called her Rosie.  Feel free to weigh-in.....
For now, she's Rosie - from Brooklyn.  The label says!
When I got her home, I started removing the tape.  It was pretty stuck and I tried to be very careful.  The fabric was stretchy and sadly, some of it tore a bit while removing the tape.  I also have a feeling that the tape may have been covering some tears.  Finally it was all off and the fabric wasn't dirty or smelly, so there wasn't much to do.  The stand wasn't very pretty though, so I got out the spray paint and gave it 2 coats.
Once the stand was dry, she was put back together and brought inside.
It was time to dress her and since it was almost Halloween, Rosie was dressed as a witch.  
In case you are wondering, yes, that is the lacy spider fabric from Joann's!

When Halloween was over, I took off most of her outfit leaving her in a black skirt and top.  She wasn't happy with the look.  I suggested a Pilgrim since Thanksgiving was almost here and she gave me a dirty look....Is that really possible???  lol
I chose a couple of pieces from the linens I bought at a recent Estate Sale and came up with this look:
Here are some close-ups:
I absolutely love this collar!
This is the detail on the apron.  

If you're thinking that hat just doesn't go with this look, I completely agree, but Rosie insisted on wearing it.  I guess you could say she has a 'Strong Personality'! 
Now we're heading toward Christmas and Rosie has informed me that she wants something 'FABULOUS' to wear.  Sassy, isn't she?

Be sure to stop back. I'm working on her Christmas outfit and hoping it will be 'fabulous'!  She will be a regular around here, sharing her outfits with everyone in Blogland.  
Now if I could just settle her name....please share your thoughts in the comments. 

To read more about Rosie - her story, her antics, her sassiness, please visit her Page.  Click HERE.



I hope you'll pin, share, comment, and follow.  If you click on those 3 little lines at the top left of the blog, you'll see where to find me...or click on the icon below to share.

Comments

  1. Ha Ha! Rosie is awesome! Glad you finally got your coveted dress form!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tania. I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with her!

      Delete
  2. I love the name Rosie! What a fantastic addition to your home. She is great.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn. I look forward to developing her personality!

      Delete
  3. What fun to have a dress form to "dress up" for the holidays! Love this idea and look forward to future Rosie Posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited about the new addition to the Cottage. Rosie looks forward to seeing you again, too!

      Delete
  4. What a fun story! I live by the motto: Good things come to those who are patient. Patience is the key! I'm so happy you found your dress form. She is styled beautifully. You are going to have lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great motto, Sarah, and believe me, I waited a loooooong time! Thank you for stopping by. Be sure to come back soon, won't you?

      Delete
  5. "Acme Adjustable Dress Form"...are you kidding me? Could she be anymore authentic? It's like you plucked her out of a Frank Capra movie. Amazing find! Enjoy her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually thought of a Bugs Bunny cartoon, but a Frank Capra movie works too! She's a gal from Brooklyn and I plan on having so much fun with her. Right now, I'm working on her Christmas outfit, so stay tuned

      Delete
  6. What a cute item to be able to decorate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ann,
    What an entertaining post!! You are probably going to think I am terrible but i had a similar dress form and got rid of it...I just had no room as you know, my house is packed to the rum..I do have a wicker dress form with a pretty white lace dress on it and a big brimmed hat...Quite the proper Victorian Lady...She is in my sitting room and of all things, and don't ask me why because I truly have no idea...I named her Minerva!!!!! Good Grief!!! Looking forward to seeing yours all decked out for Christmas!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Debbie, I don't think you are terrible, but had I known you were getting rid of a dress form, I would have driven to your house to get it! I'll have to take another look at all of your pictures and see if I spot Minerva - I LOVE her name, btw.....
      I think she and Rosie would be great friends!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Estate Sales are so great. Glad your husband is an enabler...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are, Jeanne. I'm so lucky to have him! Thanks for stopping by...

      Delete
  9. Thanks for posting at Funtastic Friday

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! I think Rosie fits her to a T!
    Thanks so much for sharing your fun post on Farm Fresh Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! What a cool story! Rosie is kind of bossy, isn’t she? LOL! I have a mannequin torso from Amazon, named Daisy. One of Rosie’s descendants?

    Thank you for linking up to Creative Compulsions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly is bossy, Michelle. I almost named her Daisy....I wonder if they're sisters??
      Stay tuned, she's ready to reveal her Christmas outfit!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break Out Those Wine Corks!

Wine Cork Wreath

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

No More Polycrylic for My Tables!