Treasure Hunting Success!

 Yard (and Estate) Sale Season is in full-swing around here and I have been participating.  If you missed my post:  The Ultimate Yard Sale Guide  be sure to check it out.  I've consolidated all of my tips for successful treasure hunting and you don't want to miss it!  
For me, it's the Thrill of the Hunt and getting a good bargain.  I shared some of my recent finds in my  This & That - Summer 2022 post and some have already had fantastic makeovers!  

This weekend did not disappoint.  

I started on Friday with an Estate Sale.  They had several excellent photos in their ad and I spied a couple of items I wanted.  The ad made it clear they would not allow Early Birds so I arrived at their start time.  Much to my disappointment, they were already open and over-run with shoppers!  Ugh!
Happily, I found my first item right away!  When I saw it in the photo, I thought it was a cutting board.  
In reality it had a very sloppy stain/varnish job.    
It's quite heavy for its size so I'm guessing it's made of maple.  I'm sure with a little elbow grease it will be pretty again (and possibly a cutting board) and it was only $5.
Right after I picked up the pineapple, I spied a box with placemats. One pattern jumped out at me but there was no price.  I asked and was told $2 for the set of 8.  SOLD!
I had also spied a bag of mini tart pans in the ad.  I found them next with a price of $15.  Too much for this Thrifty Gal so I walked away, thought about them overnight and went back the next day.  I bought them for $8 - much better!
There are over 30 and I have plans for them!

That was the Estate Sale. Next stop?  The Yard Sale at the Elks Club.  

My first stop was a table with just a few things on it.  The man was sitting in the sun holding an umbrella for shade.  He was melting and so were the candles!  I spied these candlesticks and asked for the price.  He said I could have them both for a dollar.  I couldn't get my dollar out fast enough!
I thought they might be pewter - no markings since they have a felt bottom, but quite heavy. When I got them home, I tested them with a magnet and it did not stick.  Then I made a scratch with a pin and it left a mark.  
I'm taking an educated guess and saying they are pewter.

There was lots to look at and I fell in love with a chair, but, alas, we have no room for another chair so I walked away.  Soon after, I saw this:
I fell in love with it.  As soon as I picked it up the man sitting at the table told me I could have it for $2.  I don't know if it's crewel or embroidery, or something else, (if you know, please tell me) but it's absolutely beautiful!  The mat has a few stains and the frame is very plain.  Good thing I have another frame that (I think) is a perfect fit!

That concluded my weekend of treasure hunting.  It cost me $18 and has given me a few projects to work on.  So, now, dear readers, if you know anything about my beautiful Victorian house artwork, please tell me.  Also if you have ideas for those tart pans, be sure to share.  I have a few thoughts, but I'm always open to new ideas!

What treasures have you found lately?

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Tania. It was a good weekend for treasure hunting!

      Delete
  2. You found some great treasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Zenda. I'll have a few projects to keep me busy!

      Delete
  3. I am just in awe of the embroidered house. Hope the person who did all that work doesn't know its sale price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it beautiful? I hope they don't, either. I just hope they know it will be loved!

      Delete
  4. You picked up a few really interesting pieces that you can work into your home decor and future crafting projects. The needlework Victorian house is particularly charming. Thank you for participating in Talent-Sharing Tuesdays Link-Up 30.
    Carol
    www.scribblingboomer.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. The Victorian House stole my heart!

      Delete
  5. I love all the neat treasures you found. They will all look so lovely in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That material is gorgeous #WeekendTrafficJam-

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe your house is a pre made (machine) piece--I seen them often in NY years ago--so it is older at least 10-15 years old--I seen a couple that had a little bit of colored embroidery --like alittle wreath on the door--you do have a great find--but it is not hand done!
    hugs, di

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finds, Ann. You have an amazing eye for treasure and you're a savvy shopper. I love the embroidered house. Wow. I have one that's similar. It was a thrift find. I displayed it for years, but recently replaced it with something else. I think I need to bring it back now that I've seen yours. Enjoy the weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. It was a fun weekend of shopping!

      Delete
  9. Great finds. When you take the embroidered house out of the frame, look at the back to see if it was hand done! Loved the bright colors in the placemats and the pewter candlesticks were a great find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll learn a lot when I remove it from the frame. It was a good weekend for finding treasure!

      Delete
  10. I love your haul the tart cup are great! I display the tart cups that I have found and I just put them in a wooden bowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty excited to find them and putting them in a bowl is great idea.
      Be sure to stop back again. They will definitely be the stars of a post before the holidays arrive!

      Delete
  11. That stitched house art is stunning!! Great find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alexandra. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to have it!

      Delete
  12. That stitched house is beautiful! What fabulous finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanne. I loved the house as soon as I saw it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break Out Those Wine Corks!

Wine Cork Wreath

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

No More Polycrylic for My Tables!