Wine Bottle Luminary

 Bottle cutting is a thing and to be completely honest, I'm not very good at it.  

The instructions make it sound so easy...etch the bottle, alternate hot and cold, the bottle breaks along the etching.  Simple enough...except I had 3 bottles break and NOT along the etching!  Sorry, no pics.  Fortunately, the 4th one broke the way it was intended:

Look at that!  Perfection!

No worries.  
I promise to drink more wine so I can get better at this hobby.

Welcome to The Sustainable Pinterest  Challenge, a group of bloggers who are challenged to recreate a pin from Pinterest focused on sustainability. Many thanks to Julie from Sum of Their Stories for hosting.

This month's theme is 'Upcycle' and my inspiration came from this pin, but I decided to 'kick it up a notch' and use more of the bottle. 
 This is the bottle cutter I use.
After cutting the bottle, I used wet sandpaper to smooth the edge.
I also had a piece of sandpaper flat on the table and spun the raw edge on it until it was smooth.  
Once that was done, I chose some images from Design Space and cut them on permanent vinyl using my Maker.
If you don't have a machine, don't be discouraged.  You can always use vinyl stickers from the craft store.
Weeding took some time.
But, after a while, they were all ready to be applied.
Application is pretty easy, just be sure your surface is clean.  I wiped the bottle with alcohol and let it dry.
Transfer tape was applied to the images and the were lifted off the blue background.  The tape (with the image) was applied to the bottle.
Press down over the images with an old credit or gift card and lift off the transfer tape.
I always go over the images again with the gift card - just to make sure!
Since this bottle had a punt...
...I added some glass gems to level-off the bottom... 
...giving the tealight a level surface.
The tealight was lit, and the bottle gave it a warm glow.
After I cut a few more bottles, I plan to have them sit together on a table outdoors.  
Have you tried bottle cutting? More importantly, have you had better luck? lol 


I hope you'll pin, share, comment, and follow.  If you click on those 3 little lines at the top left of the blog (on the Home page), you'll see where to find me...or click on the icon below to share.



Featured at:  
































Be sure to stop by to see what my fellow bloggers have created.  It's a blog hop and all of the links are listed below:

Julie | Sum of their Stories
Gail | Purple Hues and Me
Julie | Treasures Made From Yarn
Lydia | Life Beyond the Kitchen
Terri | A Good Life
Ann | The Apple Street Cottage
T’onna | Sew Crafty Crochet
Donna | Modern on Monticello
Allyson | Southern Sunflowers
Mel | Decor Craft Design

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

Comments

  1. So pretty, a lovely upcycle. What a shame that you will be forced to drink more wine to source more bottles to perfect this craft!
    I've never tried cutting glass, it sounds a bit scary so I'm super impressed that you've managed it at all. Just take care and share your tips once you become a glass cutting expert :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie, and no worries! I'm up for the challenge of drinking more wine! lol

      Delete
  2. I haven't tried cutting a bottle but I do like the results! We recycle our bottles, but now I'll be looking at them a little differently as we empty them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is fun - especially when the break the way you want! I truly think this is something that just takes practice.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, this is so cute! I’m going to have to give these a try. Where did you get your bottle cutter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zenda, and yes, give it a try! The bottle cutter is from Amazon.

      Delete
  4. Your luminary bottles are so cool and impressive, Ann! I've never tried bottle cutting and have no plans to. I can just imagine me having slivers of glass everywhere! You are so brave and the outcome is quite pretty! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really are no slivers of glass, Gail. Just large chunks! I still wear safety goggles, though. You never know and you only get one set of eyes!

      Delete
  5. Very pretty! I've always wanted to try cutting a glass bottle but just haven't done it yet. You aren't the only one who has said it's not as easy as it looks ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tania. You should give it a try....I think the key is practice, which I clearly need more of!

      Delete
  6. I've always wanted to try cutting a glass bottle; it looks like a bit tricky or is it easy, I don't know. Surely you've done a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is easy. The tricky part seems to be out of my control. I will keep practicing!

      Delete
  7. Love the addition of the dragonfly designs! Your luminary turned out perfect. It's such a shame you'll have to drink more wine for future bottle projects. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...drinking more wine...but I'm no quitter! Bottle cutting success is a goal! lol

      Delete
  8. That's beautiful, Ann. I've never cut glass, it's always intimidated me. It's looks very worth it...4th time's a charm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. It's really very easy, although the end result is totally out of your hands! I'm currently working on a another bottle (it's almost empty) 😉

      Delete
  9. It came out beautifully and I really like the dragonflies. I have never tried to cut a bottle in half so I am sure I would mess it up several times as well. It really is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. From what I can tell, glass can be very fickle, but I plan to keep trying!

      Delete
  10. I love the dragonflies! I've never cut bottles before, and this is such a cool way to reuse bottles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always love dragonflies and they just seemed perfect for summer.

      Delete
  11. Amazing, but I can see how it would be tough to master!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep trying! Sooner or later, I should start winning!

      Delete
  12. I have to try this. With fireflies (my personal favorite summer bug.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember catching fireflies in a jar when I was little. Fond memories!

      Delete
  13. Ann,
    WOW! these look great! Thanks so much for stopping by!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, very cool!! I've always been scared to try to cut a bottle, it turned out great!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Cutting isn't hard, it's getting it to break correctly.

      Delete
  15. Ann, what a great diy! I love the color of the bottle and the design. I've never been comfortable with bottle cutting, but yours turned out really well and so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I really want to make more of them!

      Delete
  16. This is a lovely up-cycling project. It does appear daunting to try cutting a glass wine bottle, but yours turned out great. The dragonfly embellishment is the perfect complement to the wine bottle luminary. Thank you for participating in Talent-Sharing Tuesdays Link-Up 27.
    Carol
    http://www.scribblingboomer.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. I want to get better at bottle cutting since there are so many wonderful projects out there!

      Delete
  17. So pretty! Thanks for sharing on Crafty Creators!
    XOXO,
    Niki | Life as a LEO Wife

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break Out Those Wine Corks!

Wine Cork Wreath

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

No More Polycrylic for My Tables!