Flowers for Babs

 Fall may be knocking on the door, but I'm not ready to let it in. 
I found this enamel coffee pot in the spring and just knew it would be perfect for flowers.  You may remember it being mentioned in This & That Summer 2022 where I also shared the fact that it had a large candle melted in the bottom of it.  Ugh!
There is a flower story, but first, let's talk about that melted candle.  Normally, I would use the freezer to remove an old candle from a container.  I'm sure you know the method:  pop the container in the freezer for an hour or so and when you take it out, the wax pops out.  This particular container narrows as you go up, so there would be no 'popping out' the frozen wax.  
On to Plan B.  
I heated some water in the kettle.  While holding the enamel coffee pot in a heat-safe bowl, I poured the hot water in the bowl, around the enamel pot, and let it sit for a few minutes.  
Sorry, it's blurry but I was holding the pot down in very hot water!

Using a butter knife, I reached inside and started cutting the softened wax.  Once pliable, it was easy to get my fingers around the chunks of wax and remove them.  The process was repeated a couple of times to remove all of the wax.
All the wax removed from the pot.
It was time for flowers and I chose Queen Anne's Lace.  It grows wild around here and I also found some miniature Black Eyed Susan to add some color.
And that brings me to my story:

When I was a little girl we had the most wonderful neighbors across the road.  (I grew up in the country, so it was a road - not a street).  Babs and Mike were a retired couple from Ireland who had the most AMAZING gardens.  I'm sure my love for gardening came from them.  Their vegetable garden was at least a half acre complete with fencing, trellises and every vegetable imaginable. 
I still have a picture in my mind of the two of them in the vegetable garden - straw hats on their heads, hoes in their hands, weeding out anything that didn't belong, including snakes.  Mike would run away (he was deathly afraid of snakes) and Babs would take off after them with her hoe!  It was quite the scene to witness!  It's safe to say that Babs had a big personality and I loved her for it. 💕

But their flower gardens were the show-stopper.  
They were designed so something would always be blooming starting with tulips and daffodils in the early Spring.  Next were the azaleas, forsythia, and lilacs, followed by the rhododendrons.  Then came the peonies, irises, coneflowers, daisies and black-eyed susans.  As we continued into summer, the hollyhocks, daylilies and roses were the stars along with some annuals to add color wherever it was needed. It's safe to say they were Master Gardeners and I learned so much from them.  

One day Babs and I went for a walk and I pointed out the pretty Queen Anne's lace that was growing along the road.  Her response (in her thick Irish accent), "Oh, Ann, dear.  Those are weeds!"  I didn't argue with her, but I never agreed.  Weeds or not, I love these lacy flowers!  To this day, every time I see Queen Anne's lace I think of Babs.
Since I don't have any gardens this summer, I picked the 'flowers' I could. As for Babs?  I'm sure she's smiling down on me - while shaking her head!  

What are your favorite flowers/weeds?  



I hope you'll pin, share, comment, and follow.  If you click on those 3 little lines at the top left of the blog (on the Home page), you'll see where to find me...or click on the icon below to share.


Featured at:



Comments

  1. Oh, I loved this story. so much of our personality is shaped by adults we admire as children. You must have had a lovely view to it all. I agree with you, Queen Anne's Lace is not a weed, it looks so pretty and delicate with the BES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Babs and Mike were very special people and I loved them.

      Delete
  2. I want to run right outside and pick an identical bouquet! So glad.your wax removal process worked so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so wonderful to have such sweet memories of your neighbors when you were a child. I'm sure Babs would love your bouquet in honor of her.

    My maternal grandmother had a very large vegetable garden when I was a child and I think I inherited my love of gardening form her. Every time I smell dill I think of her as she grew much of it to put in her canned vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is! They were wonderful people and it's fun to remember the people that instilled the love of gardening in us.

      Delete
  4. Adorable post and pretty flowers! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! Your flower arrangement is so perfect in your enamel coffee pot. Put an automatic smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...somehow, a formal arrangement just didn't seem right!

      Delete
  6. What's better than flowers in a second hand pot? Flowers in a second hand pot with a DIY AND a story. My favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was für eine zauberhafte Geschichte und liebe Erinnerung. Ich mag solche Geschichten sehr und stelle mir gerade vor wie Babs den Kopf schüttelt. Schön, dass du die alte Kanne gerettet hast. Ich liebe diese alten Kannen. Stell dir vor sie könnten sprechen. Was würden sie wohl alles erzählen?
    Ich hätte auch Blumen hineingestellt. Diese Idee hatte ich gleich vor Augen als ich die Kanne sah. Und Queen Anne's Lace sieht wahrhaftig hübsch aus.
    Liebe Grüße
    Delia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very special people and I loved them both. I'm sure the pot could tell many stories - if only it could!
      Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Queen Anne's Lace is my favorite "flower" and I grow it in my garden. Loved your story.




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. As you can tell, I've loved it since I was a little girl!

      Delete
  9. Inspiring story! You're a veritable artist! Thanks for sharing with us this beauty :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so nice to honor the pleasant memories of people who were present in your childhood. The bouquet is beautiful. And, thanks for the tip about removing hardened wax.
    Thank you for participating in Talent-Sharing Tuesdays Link-Up 31.
    Carol
    www.scribblingboomer.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this story! It is funny how what some consider weeds, other consider flowers. I love Queen Anne's Lace and here it grows wild too (although I had to learn the difference between that and the hemlock really fast!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie. I have not encountered any hemlock - and never want to!

      Delete
  12. Simply perfect. I love queen Anne's lace. I need some!!! Thanks for posting with Funtastic Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing this on Traffic Jam Weekend. It has been chosen as a fave feature for this week's link party that goes live on Thursday at 5:00 pm CST.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for choosing my story. Babs would be thrilled!

      Delete
  14. The pot looks beautiful as a vase and the flower arrangement is gorgeous!
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love using old vessels for fresh wild flowers. This is a beautiful arrangement! Thanks for sharing at My Big Fat Menopausal Life's Share the Wealth Party!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break Out Those Wine Corks!

Wine Cork Wreath

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

No More Polycrylic for My Tables!