It's the middle of August and much too early to start Fall decorating (IMHO) but it's not too early to craft for it, and that's exactly what I've been doing.
Into my fabric stash I went and came out with enough fabric to make a Fall pillow cover.
Pillow covers are such a wonderful option.
Why?
Because it's much easier to store pillow covers than it is to store pillows!
Pillow covers are nothing new around here. The first ones I shared gave full instructions on how to make them. Then I upcycled a Valentine's Day tablecloth into placemats and pillow covers. Some vintage dresser scarves were reinvented the same way, and last, but not least, a wool applique pumpkin pillow cover - that I don't think I shared. Probably because I was busy packing for our move. Ha! So sorry. I promise to share it soon.
This post may contain affiliate links.
All of that being said, let me share my most recent one. I think you're going to like it!
The first thing I did was get out my pumpkin pattern and cut the shape.
I also cut my pieces of muslin for the body of the pillow cover. For full instructions on that, see the original post. Trust me, they are really easy to make.
The paper backing was peeled off...
...and the pumpkin shape was ironed on the piece of muslin.
Full instructions for using Lite Steam-a-Seam 2 are on the package. It can also be run through your printer - a real plus when you're making something with lots of pieces...Go ahead, ask me how I know!
Now that the pumpkin shape was securely in place, I used embroidery floss to blanket stitch all around it.
Yes, I did use all 6 strands since this was a heavy fabric. More blanket-stitching.
Pillow cover assembled, and I now have a new pillow for this Fall!
In case you're wondering, my pillow covers function like a giant envelope. Here's a little peek:
And, did I mention how much easier it is to store pillow covers than actual pillows?
So, tell me. Have you started any crafting for Fall?
Featured at:
Talking About It Tuesdays
To Grandma's House We Go
Homestead Blog Hop
Thursday Favorite Things
BFF Open House
Create, Bake, Grow, & Gather
Home Matters
New Upcycle Ideas
Saturday Sparks
Love Your Creativity
Wow Ann, that’s stunning. I bet you can’t wait to decorate with your new pillow cover (even if it means the end of Summer lol).
ReplyDeleteAww, thank you, Sara. I do always look forward to Fall decorating and it will be nice to have the temperatures cool off a bit!
DeleteI love, love, love the design of the fabric, Ann! It makes for a very lovely fall pillow cover! So cozy and welcoming! Here's to a wonderful Fall crafting season! PS - No, I haven't started crafting for Fall, although I've been thinking about what to make.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Gail. I was going through my fabric and when I saw this piece, I was inspired. The best part? I still have some left!
DeleteAnn, this is absolutely gorgeous!!! I don't have talent in crafts or art, but I really appreciate seeing the creations of those who have this talent! And you have tremendous talent! Thank you so much for sharing.
ReplyDeleteOh, you just made my day, Linda! Thank you for that sweet compliment. In all honesty, making things keeps me sane!
DeleteThat is gorgeous, Ann! Looks like it hopped right off the shelf at Pottery Barn. Super elegant and perfect for fall...which by the way I have not started crafting for yet. However, I do have my ideas all set to go. Now, we have to talk about that Lite Steam A Seam...very interesting.
ReplyDeleteOh, Wow, Kim! That's quite a compliment, thank you so much! Lite Steam a Seam is great stuff - we'll talk!
DeleteThat is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Joanne!
DeleteIt's absolutely gorgeous!! And I LOVE the idea of storing pillow covers instead of pillows. I need to share that with my daughter--she'd love to get some seasonal pillows but doesn't have the room to store them. Thanks for sharing this with us at the Will Blog for Comments #90 linkup. We look forward to seeing more from you at #91 which opens Monday morning. Hope the rest of your week is wonderful.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Jennifer. Pillow covers are a much better idea - especially when it comes to storage!
DeleteI told my daughter about this idea, and she loved it. :) Thank you for sharing this with us at the Will Blog for Comments #91 linkup. Looking forward to seeing what more you’ll share next week at #92. Have a great week!
DeleteOh, I'm so glad to hear that, Jennifer! I'm working on a couple of projects right now...stay tuned!
DeleteThis looks lovely and so cosy!
ReplyDeleteAwww, thank you so much!
DeleteGorgeous pillow! I believe your pumpkin fabric is the same as the fabric we used to recover Mom's chairs! Wonder if there's any leftover pieces from that project ...
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, Susie, thank you! This piece of fabric was given to me by a friend and I have no idea where it came from. What a coincidence!
DeleteSometimes the simplest is the best, that fabric is gorgeous! I'm slow on the uptake for Fall here, it's been too hot, and I'm still canning. Soon as we get a break in the weather though. Happy Fall! Sandi
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Sandi. It's brutally hot here too, but this was a great project to work on inside - in the A/C! No decorating for Fall yet, though. I always wait until after Labor Day.
DeleteThank you for sharing with us I'm featuring you on Wednesday when the next To Grandma's house we go link party starts!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Tarah. I really appreciate the feature!
DeleteThat's so pretty! I love the fabric you chose.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Cat. I really love the fabric too...and I still have more of it!
DeleteJust wondering what pumpkin pattern you used? and thank you for sharing it. Love this cover!
ReplyDeleteHi Darlene! The pattern is one that I made myself and actually remembered to save! Pillow covers really are a life-saver when it comes to storage.
DeleteI wish I wasn't missing the crafting gene in my body, as this is such a cute project! Stopping in from Love Your Creativity and had to say how much I enjoyed your pumpkin pillow. I am so ready for Fall!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Jennifer! You may be surprised about that crafting gene. I never was much of a slow-stitcher until a few years ago when I was invited to join a Fiber Arts group. I got started and the rest was history!
DeleteSuch a creative idea, and the finished project looks great!
ReplyDeleteRena
https://finewhateverblog.com
Thank you so much, Rena. It definitely is sending out Fall vibes!
DeleteThis cushion is adorable Ann ♥
ReplyDeleteI'm delighted to be featuring it at the Create, Bake, Grow & Gather party this week and pinning too.
Thank you so much, Kerryanne. I'll be sure to stop by!
DeleteGorgeous Ann! Perfect for the entire Fall season. Featuring when my link party opens!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Carol. I'll be sure to stop by!
DeleteBeautiful! I can't believe the seasons are changing again already! Thanks for joining in on Home Matters Linky Party! I will be featuring your post this week! #HomeMattersParty xx
ReplyDeleteOh, thank you, Joy! Yes, time sure does go by quickly.
DeleteLove the way your pillow turned out Ann, so cute! I am so beyond ready for fall, this summer was too hot for me.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Cara. Lots of people seem to be ready for Fall!
DeleteCute pillow - love the fabric print!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Patti. The fabric is even prettier in person. I still have some left and have a few ideas swirling around my brain!
DeleteOhhhhh now that is one beautiful cozy looking fall pumpkin pillow! The rich brocade fabric is to die for with all the tones of fall! Stunning!!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Donna. This piece of fabric was given to me by a friend - and I still have more to play with!
DeleteAnn, your pumpkin pillow cover is so beautiful. Love the vibrant color and pattern. It would look great in our living room. I am happy to feature your pumpkin pillow cover at Love Your Creativity.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Linda. The fabric really is beautiful and I was lucky to have a friend give it to me.
Delete