Repurposing a Vintage Swing Photo Frame
Have you heard of Swing Photo Frames? I don't know a lot about them, but I must admit, I'm quite taken with them. My first one was give to me a couple of years ago at a yard sale. That's right, the woman just handed it to me and told me to take it. Who am I to argue with an offer like that? Then I found two more at the estate sale that made me sick for 2 months. I paid $4 a piece for them. Now that I had 3, it was time to get creative!
Welcome to the 'Do It Over' Designers blog hop. We are a group of bloggers who love to recycle/upcycle/DIY. I'm happy to host this hop and I hope you'll visit everyone to see what they have to share with you. Their links will be listed at the end of this post.
This post may contain affiliate links.
This frame was first on the list:
Nice detail, but the silver wasn't doing for me. Since it still had its glass, it needed to be removed. It was held in with small nails. A pair of long-nose pliers took care of that.
Out came the red chalk paint.
After 2 coats of paint, some sandpaper was used for a little distressing. I used 400 grit.
Next some wax.
And this little frame had a whole new look!
Time for the fun part! I also bought some vintage lace armrest covers that just happened to be the perfect size for this frame. I centered the glass on the lace.
Then, with a few dabs of hot glue...
Fortunately this hot glue gun has a detail tip, making it easy to add very small dots of hot glue.
...I wrapped the lace around the edge of the glass and trimmed the excess.
When I place the entire piece back in the frame, I discovered nothing would be needed to hold it in place. It was a snug fit.
Here's the front view:
Some vintage Valentines that I found last summer were about to steal the spotlight!
I chose the one on the right since it has this little tab on the back that moved the heart.
Using a large needle, I made a hole in the tab.
Then I threaded a long piece of fishing line through it.
I tied a knot and then ran the loose end up the front of the frame and threaded it under the top edge to the back.
From there, I ran it down the back of the frame and adjusted it until the valentine was at the height I wanted and attached the fishing line to the bottom of the frame with some tape.
My little project was almost done. The only thing left was to stand up the other Valentine next to the frame!
A little vintage display just in time for Valentine's Day!
The best part of this whole project is that nothing is permanently attached, and since it's a red frame I can use it for Christmas next year.
Before you run off, don't forget this is a blog hop and the rest of the team has some amazing upcycle/recycle/did-it-over projects to share with you. The links are all listed below: