The Estate Sale. Auntie B, & "Aunti" biotics

 Two weeks ago there was an estate sale that I'm still recovering from...that's right, recovering!  Pour yourself your favorite beverage and sit back for the story.

It all started on a Saturday, and actually there were 2 estate sales.  The first one was a quick 'in & out' and resulted in this pretty little ring for $7.
It was a good start to the day!

When The Enabler - I mean, my husband and I arrived at the second one, the driveway was full, the garage was full, as was the 3 season room off the garage, and the house!  This was going to be a good one!
Right away, I spotted these:
There was no price on them, but the woman (let's call her Kathy) holding the sale came out of the house and said I could have them both for $8.  Sold!  She set them aside for me and invited me to keep shopping.  
As we shopped, we chatted with her and she told us the story of this sale.  Her Auntie B and uncle lived in the house and she had been working on cleaning it out for a year.  How did I not know about the sale she had last year???
The house had been packed with stuff with just little paths to get through it.  Auntie B was a saver and a shopper.  The evidence?  Lots of vintage clothing and many other items still with price tags. I know what you're thinking.  Yes, this was a hoarder situation.
Kathy took a shine to us and told us the house would be going up for sale and we should buy it..oh boy!  My husband started taking a closer look at the house while I shopped - mostly in the garage and 3 season room.  
Back in the garage I spotted this:
And sitting next to it:
$5 each!
They had just been pulled out of a box and there wasn't a chip or scratch anywhere; and the pumps still worked.  I was so excited!
Nothing else was really jumping out at me but we were invited to come back again the next day since more would be put out.  I went home happy!

On Sunday we went back and Kathy greeted us with a big smile.  She wanted to show me some vintage fabric and clothes she still had.  Once again, I started in the 3 season room and spotted this:
I wasn't sure what it was, but is sure was pretty.  I picked it up:
A bird feeder with the price tag still on it - $29.99.  I bought it for $5.

Kathy then took us into one of the bedrooms that was loaded with boxes, some of which contained Tiffany style lamps, Hummels, and fur hats.  She opened the closet and started pulling out dresses from the 40's, 50's, and 60's.  All in pristine condition.  She had me try on a lamb's wool coat trimmed in mink and and a mink cape. Both were gorgeous!  Sadly, we didn't take pictures.  I know.  What were we thinking?  

At this point, I was noticing the musty smell in the house...

We then went into one of the other bedrooms (also full) and she opened one of the dressers that was full of fabric.  SOOOO much fabric.  This was my favorite:
Then she pulled out this gorgeous silk:
The receipt for it:
Note the price and the date!
Kathy told us she had already donated a huge amount of fabric already and wasn't offering a price on what was left.  She asked me to check with people I know to see if there was any interest in it.  

Once again, there was that musty smell...

I looked through the living room and found a few more treasures:
This beautiful parasol:
Musty?  Yes, but a day in the sun took care of it.
Look at the beautiful detail:
Some lace doilies for chair arms and backs:
Musty again, but a good wash and drying in the sun was the cure.
This Arthur Armour charger:
This candle lamp caught my husband's eye:
And a cute little bunny:
We left with 20 less dollars in our pockets, a box of goodies, and no further thoughts of buying that house. 
In a nutshell, it was going to need all new windows and flooring, the full bathroom would be a total gut job, and there was wallpaper...LOTS of wallpaper.  Then there were the rotted soffits and the moisture in the basement...and that musty smell... more work than we wanted to take on.  

It was a good day - or so I thought!

After we were home for a while, my husband remarked, " I can feel that house in my sinuses."  I replied with, "Funny you should say that, my ear feels funny."

I used all my home-remedy tricks but by Wednesday morning I knew my ear was full of fluid.  I got in to see my doctor that day and I was right. No infection, but lots of fluid.  She put me on a 5-day course of prednisone and said if it didn't feel better by Friday, she'd give me an antibiotic.  After a few sleepless nights (prednisone does that to me) it wasn't better.  

So here I am finishing my course of antibiotics and kicking myself.  I should have known better than to spend so much time in a musty house.  Never again!  
My sweet Enabler even has a plan.  He will go in the next questionable house, take video and photos to bring out and show me.  
I absolutely LOVE that man!

I did come home with some great finds, though!  

Which one is your favorite?

Featured at:




Comments

  1. Looks like you two had a ball looking around that musty house! Too bad you came down with lots of fluid and feeling bad, but glad you're on the mend. The umbrella is definitely my favorite! Imagine walking in the rain under that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure did, Gail! I can only imagine what was there a year ago, but I learned my lesson - it's just not worth getting sick!

      Delete
  2. Oh no. Sorry you got ill from your wonderful finds and glad you're on the mend. Saw this post at Happiness is Homemade #501. My shares this time are #31 through 34. Have a fun week and be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Nancy. Getting sick was no fun, but I've learned my lesson!

      Delete
  3. Ugh! Those old houses are the worst! And the best! Haha! As an old home lover, I totally understand the desire to go in, and the awful smells that could live there. Glad you're feeling better and I'd have to say that the parasol is my favorite! Love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Kim. I have a love/hate relationship with them! I love the parasol too and I was so glad the sun took care of the smell.

      Delete
  4. Oh my word, what a lovely selection of things you found. This kind of sale does make me feel a little sad, I can't help but reflect on the people who originally collected all that stuff. Nice that the new owner is sorting it, making sure as much as possible goes to a good home. Sorry to hear it made you ill though, you'll have to limit your time in old places to quick 5 minute dashes in and out in future to limit the germs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Julie. Estate sales make me a bit sad, especially when I see family photos that no one wanted. I am really pleased with the things I found and I'm happy to give them a new home where they will be enjoyed. Getting an ear infection was no fun at all, but I've definitely learned my lesson!

      Delete
  5. What an interesting experience you had!
    I don’t know, I love that parasol with the Battenberg lace, and I do love that oil lamp too.

    Sorry you got sick, I cannot be around mold either. Hope you’re continuing to feel better. Thank you for sharing your story at Sunday sunshine blog hop

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love the parasol too, Laurie! Superman has his kryptonite and I now have mold - lesson learned! It's just not worth getting sick.

      Delete
  6. Amazing finds, love the parasol - so gorgeous.
    I visited you via Labor Day Craftastic Monday Link Party
    I linked up this week with = 64+65. Come and join us at SeniorSalonPitStop. You will find the linkup information under BLOGGING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - I'll be sure to stop by!

      Delete
  7. I love the parasol and that old bottle of Jergens lotion. The ring must have a story. I stopped going to estate sales when I saw a woman's rosary for sale. There were bottles of liquor with a inch in them. It was very depressing. Drawers were open and a price was on everything. Now I am older and in that spot.
    I keep a bottle with half alcohol and half white vinegar and a dropper for my ears. Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely a sadness about estate sales, but I try to find things that will come home with me to be loved and enjoyed. Now I know I have to be very careful of old houses.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Wow, that was an adventure. So many great finds and a reminder of how powerful nature can be in the smallest forms. Hope you are fully recovered. And I love you call your husband your sweet enabler! Too cute! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was an adventure and, yes, mold can be very powerful! I'm still working on recovering - antibiotics are rough on me. My husband? He's the best!

      Delete
  9. I love the Jergens bottles! I have a parasol just like that one. I’m sure I got it from an estate sale also. I wish I knew more about it though. You found some great items!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I saw them I knew I had to have them. If only all of these items could talk!

      Delete
  10. So fun reading your post, Ann. And looking at all the pics. It’s crazy how our bodies can react so easily to mildew and mold! I hope you and your hubby are feeling better! He sounds very thoughtful and kind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. I will be much more cautious of where I go from now on. My husband is the best! He's even mentioned setting up a chat so I can see what's inside in real time at the next estate sale.

      Delete
  11. Such great finds. The Jergens bottles are so cool. Sorry you became sick. I hope you are feeling better. Thanks for sharing at Love Your Creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOw! what fun finds and a great story. Thanks for sharing your experience with us and I'm so sorry you became ill. Please take care of yourself. The old pump bottles are fabulous and yes that parasol! Thank you for sharing at the Home Imagined link party. XO- MaryJo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, MaryJo. It was a fun experience, minus the getting sick part. I am getting better, but still have some fluid in my ear. Hopefully that will go away soon!

      Delete
  13. Ann,
    What great finds. I love the parasol and the lamp. Sorry to hear that you got sick. Hopefully, the great finds made it bearable. lol!
    Hugs,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bev. I do love all of my finds and I definitely learned a lesson!

      Delete
  14. Great finds! So sorry you get sick! Hope you're on the mend:) Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm! xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that your husband enables you, I have one of those too! LOL. You found some really beautiful pieces, and the fabric? Stunning! I hope you are finally feeling better. I always adore the story telling of relatives when you purchase from loved ones. I am still going through memories here, and have found some interesting items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is the best! We have so much fun at estate and yard sales, and, yes the stories are the best part!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break Out Those Wine Corks!

Wine Cork Wreath

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

No More Polycrylic for My Tables!