This & That: End of Summer 2020

Summer 2020 will soon come to a close and, let's face it, like the beginning of the year, it's one for the record books.  Yard Sales and Estate Sales have been sporadic, but I have managed to find some treasures.  Let's start with them.....
My 'Fairy Godmother' started me off in May with Yard Sale Finds Without the Yard Sale and a few of those projects have already appeared:

The Chair Table

Gossip Bench Makeover

What Do You Do With a Legless Chair?

And there are more projects to come from that haul, so stay tuned!  

But my Fairy Godmother's generosity did not end there.  In July, I found this mirror on my front porch:
I'm currently working on it and you won't believe the story behind it.  It should be done soon and there will be a new post about it.  

I saw this silverware box listed on a garage sale site and got it for $5.  The outside of the box has some damage, but it will be fixed and the box repurposed.  Since I've already made one into The Office in a Box and I'm just finishing a second one as a jewelry box (post to come), this will be the third repurpose.  The bonus was getting some new silverware for my collection:
Don't you just love the pattern?
While making a quick trip to the grocery store one morning, I saw a man putting out Estate Sale signs.  On the way back, I stopped, but appointments were being made and the next available was in 3 hours.  I decided to come back on the last day at the end of the sale since that's when you get the best deals and it's 'Less Peopley' which is really important to me these days.  Let me tell you, I was so glad I did.  Here's what I bought for $18:
When the man said I could have both chairs for $10, the first words out of The Enablers....I mean, my husband's mouth were: "For that price, you can't leave them here."  The rest of the goodies were $8 and I called it a good day.  The Outdoor Lantern and The Candlestick Table have already been shared in posts.  The others will be coming, except the silver ice bucket.  It currently sits on my kitchen counter with my new silverware in it.  
About a week later, there was another Estate Sale and I went on the last day, at the end of the day.  There wasn't much left, but I scored 3 wooden disks taped together and 30 pinecones for a total of $2.  
Pine cones are always a win and the wood disks are plywood and about 15" in diameter.  I'm sure I can think of something to do with them, but, dear readers, suggestions are always welcome! 

The garden is doing very well this year - no mildew and minimal garden pests!  My lovely ladybugs may have something to do with that:
The bees have been busy in the coneflowers, roses, and more.  Here they are in the sunflowers:
I raised another Black Swallowtail Butterfly...
...and we have lots of vegetables that are being processed and frozen for winter:
In addition to what you see here, there are cucumbers, zucchini, hot peppers, and herbs.  
The basil has done especially well this year!
But I'm most excited about the Birdhouse Gourds!
I've never grown them before and I hope I can dry them over the Winter for some Spring projects.  If you have any tips for me, shout them out!

One afternoon, a couple of weeks ago, I spotted another Estate Sale sign so I took a swing by.  It was late in the afternoon and looked pretty quiet, so I went in where I spotted this picnic basket for $3 - 'As Is'.  
I kept turning it over and over looking for damage.  There was none.  $3? As Is? What was the catch?  Finally, I found it when I opened the top:
The hinge pulled out of the wood - such an easy fix!
This will be tucked away as a good Winter project.  
I also spotted this pretty ceramic pumpkin for $3 and asked if they'd take $2.  The answer was 'yes', so for $5 I had a couple of wonderful treasures.  

Our public library also reopened this Summer, first with curb-side pick-up and now quick service, which means you can reserve items online and go in the building to pick them up.  On a recent visit, I saw the cart of free books and picked up these two:

Granted, they are copyrighted 1998 and 2000, but we all know Shabby Chic is still around and who doesn't want to see how designers decorate?  I look forward to perusing them this winter over a nice hot cup of tea.  

Otherwise, Summer has been rather quiet around the Cottage.  I do have a birthday this weekend that will be celebrated quietly.  It's a milestone and my husband really wanted to have a party for me, but, as we all know, that's really not a good idea.  So, he will make me my favorite dinner, we'll share a toast with some good wine and eat cake for dessert.  It sounds like a pretty good way to enter a new decade during a pandemic, don't you think?

Thanks for stopping by and come back again soon.  I have so many new projects to share with you!


I hope you'll pin, share, comment, and follow.  If you click on those 3 little lines at the top left of the blog (on the Home page), you'll see where to find me...or click on the icon below to share.








Comments

  1. Ann,
    I SO enjoyed seeing all your new gifted treasures and great finds!! So fun!! Thanks for sharing and thanks too for taking the time to stop by!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Debbie. Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday! Whatever the number ;-)! Your special day plans sound marvelous.

    Ooh, lots of goodies! Looking forward to seeing how you transform the mirror. Nice selection of old silverware. I miss going to the charity shops and yard sales. As a new follower I need to check your archives for tutorials on transforming old silverware boxes to another purpose.

    We have beaucoup peppers and need to harvest and freeze them. I would say your little ladybugs are earning their keep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mirror is turning out just beautiful. I'm so pleased! Thank you for being a follower.

      Delete
  3. Ann your summer seemed very active. You picked up some great pieces for amazing prices. Pinecones are always a great thing.

    I look forward to seeing your gourd birdhouses.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very lucky with what I found this summer. I just hope I can dry those gourds over the winter....fingers crossed!

      Delete
  4. What fun finds! Your garden photos are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finds! I love the idea of the office in a box. Thanks for linking up with hello Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tanya. The Office in a Box has been very popular!

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh what great scores! I was actually surprised at the number of events I got to attend this summer (only recently and all socially distanced and many outside) -- barn sales and estate sales. You know I love the thrill of the hunt! We've been vegetable gardening too -- such fun! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm! xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really fortunate, Kathleen and I'm hoping there is more to come....actually, there is, I scored a $2 chair the other day! The 'thrill of the hunt' is what it's all about, along with rock-bottom prices! Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Ann, the goodies from the estate sale are fab ! Cant wait to see how you give them a makeover. Thank you very much for linking at Meraki Link Party
    Naush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Naush. I have a few things that will keep me busy over the winter!

      Delete
  8. So fun to see all your great estate sale scores. (Enabling husbands are the best! I’ve got one too.) And to get a quick peek into upcoming projects. Thanks for sharing with Creative Compulsions!

    Michelle
    https://mybijoulifeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enabling husbands are the best! Thanks for stopping by, Michelle.

      Delete
  9. I loved seeing all of your treasures. I say "Less peopley" too! I just love those little chairs. Thanks for sharing at TFT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who says that! Thanks for stopping by, Pam.

      Delete
  10. What a very pretty mirror and other fabulous finds! Thank you so much for sharing this at Farmhouse Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mirror is much prettier now. I'm working on that post now, so be sure to come back for the reveal!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break Out Those Wine Corks!

Wine Cork Wreath

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

No More Polycrylic for My Tables!