Outdoor Lantern and a Household Tip

I found this little lantern at an Estate Sale recently.  It was the last day of the sale and I was surprised it was still sitting there.  It had all of its parts and none were broken.
The only 'problem' I could see was someone had left a lit candle in the cup and it melted over the sides.  The wax was stuck.  
I picked it up and was surprised at it's weight.  For such a little lantern it was really heavy! (It weighed-in at 5 &1/2 pounds and it's only 11 inches tall.)
I asked, "How much?"
The man said, "Two bucks."
I said, "Sold!  Add it to my pile!"
When I got it home, I put it in the freezer.  That's right, the freezer.  It's the easiest way to get wax out of or off something.  
You may be wondering how long it was in the freezer.  Well, to be honest, I forgot about it, so it was in there a few hours. 
When it came out, I grabbed the edge of the candle wax and out it popped!
Easy Peasy!
I really love the dragonfly and flower detail.
I wonder if a lot of people don't know the freezer trick for removing wax and that's why it was still there in the last few hours of the sale.  If that was the case, it certainly worked to my advantage. 

Anyway, I now have a cute little lantern for outdoors and you now know how to remove wax.  Win-win!
Doesn't it look pretty lit up at night?
FYI:  I use tea lights in it now - no more wax mess.

I hope you'll pin, share, comment, and follow.  If you click on those 3 little lines at the top left of the blog (on the Home page), you'll see where to find me...or click on the icon below to share.

Comments

  1. We've used that freezer trick a few times and have yet to have it not work; great thinking and what a great addition to your yard. It's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great trick! I knew I'd use it as soon as I saw this lantern.

      Delete
  2. I learned a new trick; ;thank you so much. I usually take my treasure out to the front yard (gravel) and pour boiling water on it so it doesn't go down my drain. YOUR way is so much easier! Will try it next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this helps you, Kathy. It's much easier than boiling water!

      Delete
  3. Nice lantern. Yes, the freezer trick always work when you want to take melted wax off objects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful lantern. Thanks for the wax removal tip, followed you from the Blogger's Pit Stop party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joyce. It's my 'go-to' everytime I need to get wax out of or off something!

      Delete
  5. That freezer trick has saved me in the past as well! Your lantern was a great find! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm. xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathleen. It sure beats digging old wax out of the cup!

      Delete
  6. Your lantern turned out beautifully. It looks especially pretty lit up at night! ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Theresa. We really enjoy it in the evenings!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break Out Those Wine Corks!

Wine Cork Wreath

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

No More Polycrylic for My Tables!