The FREE Table

I'm so happy to finally have this little table finished.  It took a while, but was SO worth it!
If you've been following the 'adventure' at the Cottage, you already know we sold it and most of our furniture.  Since we are currently living in a small apartment, we needed an 'apartment-sized' table and along came this one.  
It was sitting in a corner at the storage unit building and I commented on it (the fact that it's solid maple).  The owner looked at me and said, "It's yours!".  I offered to pay him for it, but he refused.  Even my husband was excited about this table - the size, the price, what's not to love? 
The best part about it? The top was already sanded!  Take a look:


I had no intention of sanding the rest of it, so I gave it a quick 'once over' with some 220 grit sandpaper and it was ready for stain. After one coat of walnut stain, three coats of polyurethane were applied, allowing for proper drying time.  I know longer use polycrylic on tables - you can read why HERE.  
After allowing it to 'cure' for a few weeks, it was time to work on the rest of it.  I used a chalk paint called Pool that's available at your local discount store that begins with a 'W'.  ðŸ˜‰
I wondered if that orangy stain would bleed through the paint, so just to be sure, I gave it a third coat.  I almost thought I saw a hint of orange after two coats.  Better to be safe, than sorry!  Looking back, I should have given it a coat of shellac to seal it...I'll know next time!
The stained edges of the top were taped to give it a nice, crisp line:
Clear wax was used to seal the chalk paint and this little beauty was done!  Here are a few Before & After pics:


You may be wondering about the dimensions for this 'apartment-sized' table.  With the leaves down, it is 36" x 26".  Open up the leaves and you have 36" x 52", enough seating for six!  Originally, there were more leaves, but they are long gone.
For us, it's the perfect table.  It fits in the current kitchen and it's finished to match the kitchen I will have someday - I like to plan ahead!


Has Fall arrived in your part of the world yet?  We've had some warm weather here and I'm enjoying every bit of it while I can.  The leaves are starting to change and we all know what that means!

Have a wonderful weekend.  I hope you can get outside and enjoy some nice weather!


Featured at:





Comments

  1. What a lucky find. It is a pretty table and perfect for a dinner for two or a crowd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra. It really was a lucky find - especially if you've priced tables lately!
      So glad you stopped by. Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love free!! That little table looks so great now, you did a wonderful job on it!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tania. Free is my favorite word!

      Delete
  3. Oooo! I LOVE it!! Brilliant combo! Staining the TOP really was the best thing to do with a HARDwood to show off the grain. Which, no one really looks at underneath, so that paint choice definitely "lightened" it up.
    BTW, great score on getting the Piece in the first place!
    #ThriftEnvy
    ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I really like the light/dark combination too.
      I'm so glad you stopped by - hope you'll be back again soon!

      Delete
  4. 'tis a thing of beauty , a joy forever! How lovely and what a great price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you. Now I need to find it the perfect kitchen!

      Delete
  5. I never get these kinds of deals. I love how the table turned out. What brand of walnut stain did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never do either, Rhonda, but sometimes the stars align....
      I used Minwax Penetrating Stain in Dark Walnut. I usually use 2 coats, but the maple only needed one.
      Thanks for stopping by - come back again soon!

      Delete
  6. I love your table, you did a lovely job. Shared to pinterest and twitter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Carole - 'Free' is my favorite!!
      So glad you stopped by - come back again soon.

      Delete
  8. Love this table. Pool is a pretty paint color and I love the stained top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it, Vickie. It was a 'labor of love'!
      I hope you'll stop by the Cottage again soon.

      Delete
  9. Love what you did with this table! We have a free table too, and it's still not done. This is the inspiration I needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to inspire, Pam. I hope you'll share your table when it's done, I'd love to see it!
      Thank you for stopping by the Cottage. Come back again soon.

      Delete
  10. Your table turned out beautifully and it is a perfect size for your space. Thank you for sharing at Snickerdoodle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am featuring your table tomorrow at Snickerdoodle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feature. I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  12. Your table is adorable. I've always loved drop leaf tables and you did a wonderful job finishing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, JoAnne. Drop leaf tables do have a certain charm, don't they?

      Delete
  13. I think your table turned out so pretty! I'm really wanting to mix a dining table with stain and paint. I'm lovin' the look! Thank you for linking up to Party in Your PJ's! Pinned and shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the second table I've refinished with stain and paint. I really love it too!
      Thank you for pinning & sharing.

      Delete
  14. Love this Ann! You did a great job! Thanks for sharing @Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cecelia - always happy to share!
      Have a great week.

      Delete
  15. Free is awesome and so is that Pool color! Great job and there's something about drop tables that I love. It's hard for me not to pick one up when I'm garage sale-ing or thrifting :D Thanks for sharing with us at Funtastic Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free is my favorite word! I'm so glad you like it.

      Delete
  16. What a beautiful transformation. I'm bringing back my Monday link party @ DIY Home Sweet Home (first one will be Oct. 16th) and I would love for you to stop by and link up your table or any new projects your working on! http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I would love to link my projects to your party. What time will it start?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break Out Those Wine Corks!

Wine Cork Wreath

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

No More Polycrylic for My Tables!