Wall Vase Makeover

 I found this wall vase at a yard sale last year for $2.  It was a bargain and I knew I could do something fun with it.  
Before we get started, let me welcome you to the Creative Craft Hop hosted by Donna from Modern on Monticello.  If you just came from Donna, Welcome to the Cottage!  At the bottom of this post I'll direct you to the next stop on this hop, but be sure to visit all of the other stops for some amazing inspiration. They will all be listed.

Where was I? Oh, yes!  I took that wall vase home and gave it a 'scuff' with sandpaper.
And painted it yellow!
It did nothing for me. 
Actually I hated it!  
So, I tucked it away with the other unfinished or 'need to be started' projects.  You know the place.  It's kind of like the Island of Misfit Toys. No one ever visits and everything there needs repairs.  Can you relate?

I'd take it out once in a while hoping for inspiration, but, alas, nothing!  
Back it would go....until I recently visited my friend, Cara @ Vintage Style Gal.  She styled a wall vase and I was immediately inspired.  
Out came my wall vase for another 'scuff'
And 2 coats of chalk paint in peacock.
This was much better!
Clear wax, followed by some dark wax
Finally, a color that made me happy!
The D-ring was reattached for hanging.
Time to style!

I started with a doily - also found at a yard sale.  
Then some silk flowers...

Finally, something I liked!


Since Flag Day is later this week and Independence Day isn't far behind, I changed it out:
I even got to use my firecrackers upcycled from essential oil tubes.

One wall vase - two different looks:
Spring/Summer flowers, or...
Patriotic.
Which one is your favorite?  

Don't forget this is a hop so it's time to visit Gail @ Purple Hues & Me.  Once you've stopped by to see her, be sure to visit all of the others for more inspiration!

Comments

  1. You find the most interesting things at yard sales Ann! Those firecrackers are great; I love the patriotic theme but your second version is so pretty. Such a versatile decor piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara. I guess finding interesting things is my super-power!

      Delete
  2. You are on a roll, Ann! Your vase looks adorable either way! You certainly know how to 'do-over' just about anything! Did you like that play on words, lol! Both newly styled vases look wonderful, but I like the spring/summer flowers the best! You can keep it up all spring and summer! But then, since this is a political, voting year, I guess you can keep that design up longer, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gail and, yes, I did like your play on words! I really like the flowers too and as for the political, I'm staying away from politics...I'll go with a Fall theme.

      Delete
  3. Love this container for a staple piece, decorating it through the year should be fun for you Ann. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty, Ann! I totally get it...sometimes the original idea just doesn't feel right. When that happens to me I usually whip out the red paint. That always works in my world. Love that peacock blue, it's perfect for summer!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , Kim. Red is your 'go-to' color and blue is mine - even if it's peacock blue!

      Delete
  5. I love your reference to the Island of Misfit Toys! That is exactly where I pulled my project out of this month. I am going to think of that every time I walk into my craft room because it has become a mess again. I have never seen a wall vase like this one so you definitely got lucky with this one. I like the blue much better too. Great project and makeover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure every DIYer has an Island of Misfit Toys (or Projects). It's just never been given a name. Maybe I've coined a phrase!

      Delete
  6. Love the teal colour you chose. I also have a doom pile of failed attempts. We get there eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great choice of colors, Ann. I love your analogy to the Island of Misfits. I bet we all have those projects waiting to be revived. The patriotic touch is perfect for this time of year. What type of paint did you use on the vase?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. I'm trying to get through my 'island' but it's so difficult when I keep finding new projects to add to it!

      Delete
  8. That is a lovely upcycling project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty Ann, and I love the ways you have styled it! Great make-over!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenna. I was so happy to finally find something that worked!

      Delete
  10. Ann I love how you have layered all of the colors to give this vase a make over. So pretty! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way your wall vase turned out Ann, and I am flattered my lil' old vase inspired you. It's funny when you pick up a piece, and think you know exactly what you will do with it, and then think this doesn't work, and so we try, try, try again until we get it just perfect. You did! I love the color, I am finding that hue of blue makes me feel so relaxed. I love the way you have it decorated for the upcoming festivities too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU so much for the inspiration, Cara. Truth be told, I almost threw it out! Good thing I saw yours before I did.

      Delete
  12. So pretty! Love how you can change it up depending on the time of year or occasion! Thanks for joining in on Home Matters Linky Party! I will be featuring your post this week! #HomeMattersParty xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha ha! I can definitely relate to an area that's the Island of Misfit Toys - a box in our garage where the half finished creative projects go to marinate! The pale yellow just wasn't working, I love the vibrant new look your created.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all have one, don't we? It sat with the yellow for a long time...until I was inspired - finally!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break Out Those Wine Corks!

Wine Cork Wreath

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

No More Polycrylic for My Tables!