The $5 Ceramic Christmas Tree

 I know what you're thinking...a ceramic tree...for $5?  But, if you know me, you know I am the most frugal (aka 'cheap') gal around sooo, when I saw these two trees on Marketplace for $10 I couldn't message the seller fast enough! 

Welcome to the 'Do It Over' Designers blog hop. We are a group of bloggers who love to recycle/upcycle/DIY.  I'm happy to host this hop and I hope you'll visit everyone to see what they have to share with you.  Their links will be listed at the end of this post.

I was on my way in minutes and came home with these two little beauties:
The tree on the left is today's focus.  

It's about 11 inches tall.  

That green crackle finish?  Not my favorite.
  
It was also from PartyLite - Remember those home parties?
I gave it a good cleaning with soap and water and let it dry.  Next, it went outside for some white paint. 
There were some chips (see the top?) but I didn't care.  The chipped side could be turned to the back and, in all honesty, this tree is designed to be viewed at night.  The chip(s) wouldn't really show in the dark. 
 
The base started out with paper protectors on the bottom.  Those came off during washing.
I replaced them with some cork ones.
Much better!

The base also had a spot for a tea light...remember?  PartyLite!  I used a battery operated one.
The top was place on the base and it was ready for it's debut!


This project brought back fond memories of the Ceramic Christmas Tree that I updated a few years ago.  That one came a long way from it's original pink and blue!

As for the little green tree that came as a package deal? It went to my daughter.  She's wanted a green ceramic tree for a while now and was discouraged by the prices.  I was thrilled to find one for her, albeit a small one.  I'm on the look-out for a larger one at a bargain price.  She says she's confident I can 'work another miracle'!  HA!
Isn't it grand when your grown children still think you can perform miracles??  

I hope you'll pin, share, comment, and follow.  If you click on those 3 little lines at the top left of the blog (on the Home page), you'll see where to find me...or click on the icon below to share. 

Before you run off, don't forget this is a blog hop and the rest of the team has some amazing upcycle/recycle/did-it-over projects to share with you.  The links are all listed below:

Tea and Forget-Me-Nots

The Apple Street Cottage

Birdz of a Feather

Exquisitely Unremarkable

Little Vintage Cottage

Modern on Monticello

Pandora’s Box

Purple Hues & Me

Sum of Their Stories


Comments

  1. It's a very elegant makeover, Ann. just perfect!! I can't believe what a bargain you got on the trees. I was at a shop yesterday and the green ones were almost $100!! Makes me want to kick myself that we got rid of the one my sister made for my mom years and years ago. Silly. I should've known that one day it'd be all the rage again. Here's hoping you find another bargain for your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really lucky, Kim. The prices for these trees are outrageous, but this bargain hunter is on the job! Maybe I'll get lucky again.

      Delete
  2. Wow, gorgeous. It's amazing what paint can do to transform an item. Great call to snap those up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara. I saw the listing right after it went up...it was perfect timing, Now, if I can only do it again....

      Delete
  3. Clever makeover! I think a little spray paint can really make a big change! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, using spray paint is like using a magic wand. It was just the cure for this little tree!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you gave that crackle green finish an update to white! You definitely can't go wrong with painting it white! The tree looks quite classy and unique now! I'm glad you didn't pick the green tree to update! I hated them back then and still do today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Gail. White is always right! I was never a fan of the green trees either and that pink one I found a few years ago was really awful. Spray paint to the rescue!

      Delete
  5. Holy cow! I can't believe you found those for such a great price!! I love the both, great job on the makeover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't either, Tania. The poor man told me he had about 6 people message him about them after me. I had great timing for this one!

      Delete
  6. What an absolute steal! And so simple to bring it right up to date. This looks lovely, you'd never know what a bargain it was :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I almost felt a bit guilty paying so little for them, but I love the update!

      Delete
  7. What an upgrade! The original style was quite strange, almost like blue cheese. Love the simple colour now. Great do over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue cheese! That's the perfect description, Rachel! 😂
      I think it's a much better look now.

      Delete
  8. Now that little ole tree went from tacky to classy! So pretty just a simple white. If you lived near me I'd say "hey, that other one is my old ceramic tree I donated". Looking forward to seeing what you do with it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-Ha! It was pretty tacky! The green one now belongs to my daughter....her choice of what to do with it.

      Delete
  9. Your makeover of this little tree is so much better than the original. I know you will enjoy it more this way. I also hope your daughter enjoys the bonus one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. Spray paint definitely worked its magic!

      Delete
  10. I love how this tree turned out! Looks so much better all white. Thanks for sharing on the Home Imagined party today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love small Christmas trees - yours is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have jumped on these trees, too, Ann! The green one reminds me of the ones my mom had when I was growing up. Love the paint job as well. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm. xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thrilled to be the first one to see the ad on Marketplace. Believe me, I couldn't type fast enough!

      Delete
  13. The tree is so pretty with the candlelight peeking through the little star-shaped openings. I still have one of those green, ceramic trees that my mom made in ceramics class back in the 70s.
    Thank you for sharing this post in the Talent-Sharing Tuesdays Link-Up 43.
    Carol
    www.scribblingboomer.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. These trees sure can bring back memories!

      Delete
  14. What a simple little makeover with big impact!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...sometimes a little spray paint can work a miracle!

      Delete
  15. Such astonishing, I would like to try it, thanks for sharing~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline. It was an easy makeover!

      Delete
  16. What a difference! It looks so good. I love a good bargain & upcycle! Thanks for sharing on Crafty Creators! If you ever want to add a blogger to the hop, give me a shout. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break Out Those Wine Corks!

Wine Cork Wreath

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

No More Polycrylic for My Tables!