Not Just an Ashtray Stand
As soon as I laid eyes on it I knew what this sad little ashtray stand could become, and I had ALL of the pieces to make it happen. How often does that happen?
Welcome to the 'Do It Over' Designers blog hop. We are a group of bloggers who love to recycle/upcycle/DIY. I'm happy to host this hop and I hope you'll visit everyone to see what they have to share with you. Their links will be listed at the end of this post.
This is what I found:
Dirty, damaged - you know, the usual things I find!As I started sanding, the burn marks became more apparent:
The glass ashtray was either broken or lost and someone decided to put out their smokes on the wood. Ugh! After the whole thing was sanded, it was sprayed with shellac. I was going to paint it white and no one wants 'bleed marks'.
Out came the white chalk paint. (Just a sidenote, everything was sealed with a clear spray after painting.)
The plan? Make this a side table for my balcony and a stand for a bird cage. Let's start with the table.
I had two wood circles left from a previous yard sale.
I sanded off as much of that number as I could.
Then sanded the edges:
The edge needed finishing, so some clothesline rope was added with E6000.
When everything was dry, the trick was to find the center of the circle and then the distance for the ashtray sand to be attached. Here's what I did:
I'm hoping this is not clear as mud right now!
I used a piece of string, estimated where the center was, and moved it around the edge. Then I measured across the ashtray stand:
I was using velcro to stick the top to the stand so I (sort of) measured that distance out from the center of the top. (You all know I really can't measure, right??) 😉
I put tiny dabs of toothpaste on the velcro that was on the bottom of the tabletop and pressed them down on the stand so I'd know where to place the matching piece of velcro on the stand.
Placed it on the stand, where it left a mark:
The top and bottom were lined-up and the two pieces were attached.
I started with three pieces of velcro and later added more for stability and strength.
The table was complete:
The perfect size for my little balcony!
But, the project doesn't end there. I had this sweet little bird cage that I found for a dollar at a yard sale last year. Here was my chance to use it!
It was painted white...
...and was decorated with a silk flower swag that I've had for 30 years. I am not kidding! The flowers still look perfect and I was not throwing them out - so glad now!
I needed something the right size to fit in the base of the ashtray and reach the bottom of the birdcage. As they say, 'necessity is the mother of invention', so I grabbed the cardboard tube from a roll of plastic wrap that we just emptied and cut it to fit.
Out came the velcro again:
A piece for the top and another for the bottom. The matching piece on the bottom of the birdcage and we now have a birdcage on a stand:
In the interest of full disclosure, that cardboard tube is not very sturdy. I am currently on the look-out for something else (like a block of wood) to give it more stability.
There you have it. Two projects from one ash tray stand!
Before you run off, don't forget this is a blog hop and the rest of the team has some amazing upcycle/recycle/did-it-over projects to share with you. The links are all listed below: