The rocking chair was a real find, but seat was damaged.
Fortunately, it was reinforced underneath. It was calling out for a seat cushion.
I decided to see how much of the quilt could be salvaged. I spread it out and cut out all the pieces with the least damage. There was one section that was in pretty good shape and was the perfect size for a cushion.
I already had an old chair cushion:
And I purchased a yard of cotton fabric from the bargain bin for a $1.50.
Here's where it gets interesting. I cut a piece of cotton fabric to match the quilt piece and sewed them together on 3 sides. Then I proceeded to "eyeball" the curve of the cushion. I marked it with a pencil and started sewing. Yes, I'm real precise like that! LOL
The seams were trimmed and the cover was turned right-side out. The cushion was placed inside and the fourth side was sewn-up. Done!
It was EXACTLY what this chair needed.
I still had some pieces left and the ice cream parlor chair need some dressing-up:
and so did this little bench that used to be at the foot of the bed:
This used 8 sections of the quilt.
So there you have it...the story of an antique rocker and an old, worn quilt, put together for a new life!
Thank you so much for stopping by. If you missed the other parts of this series, you can find them here: