Skip to main content

Cozy Porch - Part 2 - Those Walls

Welcome Back!  If you missed The Cozy Porch - Part 1, you can find it HERE.

Let's talk about the walls on the porch today.  When I first saw them, they looked like they had been left out in the weather for a long time.  They were brown and the grain was deep.  Take a look:

I really wanted to lighten them up and started to do some research on how to 'whitewash' walls.  I found SO many opinions on how to do it - Mix 2 parts water to 1 part paint OR 1 part water to 2 parts paint - Use a foam brush, no, a regular brush - wipe it off - don't wipe it off!  YIKES!! 
I decided to use my own instincts and here's what I came up with:

I used some leftover white paint from the basement project.  If you missed that post, you can find it here.  By the way, the bar is going to be whitewashed next!  Sorry, I digress!

The paint was mixed with water - 1 part paint & 1 part water.   We ( my hubby painted with me) used old paint brushes that were lying around (not foam) and started painting.  Keep in mind this paint is very runny, so you don't need a lot of paint on the brush.  This is especially true near your moldings!  We did not wipe any of the paint off, and this is the result:
I loved the look - kind of 'Beachy', don't you think?  Here's a peek at a section over one of the windows.  It really shows the beautiful grain of the wood:

Once again, White is Bright.  I love the look of whitewashed wood!

That's all for today.  Be sure to stop back soon to hear more about this little room - the tables, the mirror, the chairs and cushions.....so much to share!

Have a wonderful week!


Linking to:

Comments

  1. The whitewashed wood looks so much better -- lighter and brighter for sure! You've done such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Benita - and it was SUPER easy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

Welcome back!  Last week you saw a garage sale dresser transformed with paint and decoupaged napkins.  If you missed it, click here

Today I have a little tutorial showing how it was done.  Let's get started, shall we?

The drawers were sanded down to bare wood and the edges were painted black to match the rest of the dresser.  The napkins were found at the Dollar Store.
Notice they are 2-ply napkins?  You only need one, so separate those layers! Iron the one-layer.  It helps when you are ready to lay it down on the wet decoupage medium.   Since the napkins were not wide enough to cover the entire drawer, I was going to have to piece them together.  These napkins also had a very definite pattern that was going to need matching, so it was time for some measuring.  I found the middle of the drawer and matched it to the middle of the napkin.  Then I marked the edges of the napkin on the edge of the drawer with chalk.  See the white (chalk) dot? There are actually two of them as guides for …

All-Natural Weed Killer - That Works!

Summer is finally here!  The flowers are blooming, the grass is growing, and so are the weeds!

So many times I hear people ask how to kill weeds without harmful chemicals.  Here is my solution:
I start with a 24 ounce spray bottle and cover the bottom with salt.  I held it up to the light so you could see how much salt I use...since I don't measure it! Then, I fill it up with vinegar and add a few drops of dish soap.  Any brand will do since it just helps the solution stick to the leaves.  Shake it up and don't forget to label the bottle. The only thing left to do is spray the weeds.  As you can see, I got this one good and wet. Two hours later... Isn't that amazing?   I've been using this solution for years and it's never let me down.  One thing I will tell you, though, it seems to work better on a sunny day.   Do you have a 'go-to' weed killer?  Be sure to tell us about it in the comments.  As, always, thanks for stopping by and Happy Father's Day to all the …

The Water-Logged China Cabinet

Here's the back story on this piece... The storage unit we rented was in an old factory and they were cleaning-out.  When we arrived with the movers (same company) I spotted the china cabinet that had been left out in the rain for a loooong time.  It was warped, split, peeling, and had no glass.  Since I'm an idiot...ahem, love a challenge, I offered to buy it.  The owner told me to take it - no charge.  He also gave me the maple table for free.  If you missed that makeover, click HERE.  Since I had no room for the china cabinet, it sat there until we moved into the new Cottage.  
The china cabinet made it as far as the back porch and as soon as we were 'settled' aka: had a functional kitchen and bathroom, I got to work. The original plan was to reglue the veneer and try to add stain to blend in what was missing.  That plan was tossed aside as soon as I realized the extent of the water damage.  Take a closer look:


The more sanding I did, the more veneer came off. It was s…