Skip to main content

Spring in the House

Even though it's cold and snowy outside, I can add a little "Spring" to the inside.

I found this container about 5 years ago on clearance and knew it had to come home with me. I filled it with silk flowers and it lived on the mantle of our old house.   Since this house has no fireplace (insert 'sad face' here), I decided to put it on the dining room table.  The table runner was made by my husband's great aunt.  I'm sure it waas a dresser scarf, but I repurposed it as a table runner.

Spring is 25 days away - or so they tell me!  I'm hoping this will encourage it to arrive a little early!  
Stay warm, my friends!


Linking to:

Comments

  1. Ann,
    I adore white florals for home decor!!!
    Your container is charming, dear one!
    We've had little SNOW or Winter here on the Prairie. . .
    but still I Welcome Spring!!!
    Visiting from Amaze Me Monday!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that container!! Thank you for sharing at Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Ladies! Hopefully this will encourage Spring to make an appearance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Love the Container it makes Me Smile! so Sweet saw You on Merry Monday and I'm in Iowa where We can have Snow in April/May with the Flowers starting to bloom and Buds on the Trees..really nice here today but snow and cold for tomorrow..Yikes..hurry Spring..Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this touch of spring! I am so ready for winter to be over.
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

Welcome back!  Last week you saw a garage sale dresser transformed with paint and decoupaged napkins.  If you missed it, click here

Today I have a little tutorial showing how it was done.  Let's get started, shall we?

The drawers were sanded down to bare wood and the edges were painted black to match the rest of the dresser.  The napkins were found at the Dollar Store.
Notice they are 2-ply napkins?  You only need one, so separate those layers! Iron the one-layer.  It helps when you are ready to lay it down on the wet decoupage medium.   Since the napkins were not wide enough to cover the entire drawer, I was going to have to piece them together.  These napkins also had a very definite pattern that was going to need matching, so it was time for some measuring.  I found the middle of the drawer and matched it to the middle of the napkin.  Then I marked the edges of the napkin on the edge of the drawer with chalk.  See the white (chalk) dot? There are actually two of them as guides for …

The Water-Logged China Cabinet

Here's the back story on this piece... The storage unit we rented was in an old factory and they were cleaning-out.  When we arrived with the movers (same company) I spotted the china cabinet that had been left out in the rain for a loooong time.  It was warped, split, peeling, and had no glass.  Since I'm an idiot...ahem, love a challenge, I offered to buy it.  The owner told me to take it - no charge.  He also gave me the maple table for free.  If you missed that makeover, click HERE.  Since I had no room for the china cabinet, it sat there until we moved into the new Cottage.  
The china cabinet made it as far as the back porch and as soon as we were 'settled' aka: had a functional kitchen and bathroom, I got to work. The original plan was to reglue the veneer and try to add stain to blend in what was missing.  That plan was tossed aside as soon as I realized the extent of the water damage.  Take a closer look:


The more sanding I did, the more veneer came off. It was s…

Grandma's Sewing Box

You've seen the meme:  Grandma Had It, Mom Threw It Out, I Bought It Back.  The story of this little sewing box fits it to a 'T'.  While walking through the local thrift store, I saw this sewing box sitting on a bottom shelf.  My grandmother had one just like it and to be honest, I have no idea what happened to it.  But here was another one, looking pretty humble.
The finish was worn, the veneer was chipped, and it was only $2!  
It came home with me. The first step was to glue all the loose veneer on the legs:
I used wood glue and added binder clips to act as clamps...there's a little tip for you! After the glue was dry, I did some filling with wood putty, sanded, and painted the legs, sides, and top with Ocean chalk paint. 
After two coats, I distressed the edges and it was time for decoupage! I scuffed the finish a bit with 220 grit sandpaper and wiped away the dust. The Mod Podge was brushed on, making sure to get it into the edge.   After separating the layers, I placed …