A Fairy House Solves a Problem
Fairies get a lot of attention these days...fairy houses, fairy gardens, it's all about the whimsy! Since my new (to me) cottage has all sorts of quirks and challenges, I decided to enlist the help of the fairies and create a fairy house for a problem spot.
This post may contain affiliate links.
Let me share that problem spot first so you can see my dilemma. Remember, I've always vowed to 'keep it real' and this is not a pretty picture!
Awful, right? This is the spot next to our side door and there are so many things wrong with it: no molding, broken/lumpy sheetrock, exposed subfloor, molding spattered with paint or stain (I'm not sure which), and the molding that is there is cut incorrectly for a corner.
Until we get around to fixing the 5 or so things I just listed, I needed to cover that mess, soooooo...
I pulled out a piece of balsa wood and cut a house shape to fit the space.
I cut some craft sticks with my mini hacksaw.
They gave it a roof.
I gave the house two coats of white paint as a primer.
Then it was time for two coats of dark yellow.
The details were next. Fair warning. I am not a decorative painter so I was totally 'winging it'. I also didn't take pictures every step of the way, but there are enough to give you the idea!
Some windows:
Outlined in white with a paint pen:
As you can already see, flowers were added under the windows:
A red door and a lamp post:
Can't forget the doorknob!
Since the door looked a little plain, a little bling was added. Fairies like bling, right?
A little more bling at the peak of the house:
One completed fairy house:
Now attached to the wall with some Velcro and hiding a whole lot of awful. Not all of it, but a lot of it!
A new addition to the Charming New Cottage!How you actually see it when you're walking toward the door:
Now I know fairy houses usually are created with stones, moss, sticks, and other natural elements. This one is inside my house, so I went with something a bit more traditional.
I consulted the fairies and they were good with it!
Featured at:
















What a great idea, Ann! How adorable is this and it's perfect for that spot! When you finally get that area fixed, be sure to keep your fairy house for another location - your fairies can't do without it!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Gail. This little corner is a bit of a mess, but I may actually leave the molding off so the fairy house can stay in its current location. It's important to keep the fairies happy!
DeleteWhat an adorable solution....I'm crazy I would paint that little wall with blue sky, clouds, birds ...etc. LOL. But it is adorable. Sandi
ReplyDeleteNo, Sandi, you are not crazy. I love that idea! I mentioned it to my husband and he said, "You should do it!" Stay tuned...there may be an update in the future!
DeleteYour little fairy house is charming. Be sure to keep it even after you fix your problems. #MMBC
ReplyDeleteThank you, Carol, and believe me, it will stay. As I'm reading comments, it may even get a few improvements!
DeleteThat was such a cute idea! I love Sandi's idea too! You might as well have fun with that corner!
ReplyDeletewww.chezmireillefashiontravelmom.com
Thank you so much! I have a few ideas swirling around my brain and definitely plan to have fun with this corner.
DeleteVery fun fix. It's great! I bet that area now makes you dream and smile vs. being draining.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you think so, Jeanne and yes, I smile every time I walk out the door!
DeleteAnn, this is just darling!! Now I need to find a corner to make one for my cottage, because I am smitten!!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Kim. You must have a little corner somewhere that would be just perfect for the fairies!
DeleteSmart and adorable. Love it :)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much. It's always nice to hear that others appreciate my ideas!
DeleteThat is a very cute solution! I have an area that could use something like that. Thanks for the idea.
ReplyDeleteYou're very welcome, Susan. I'm always happy to inspire others!
DeleteThis is so cute and whimsical! it was a good solution.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Pat. Sometimes you just need to step out of that box!
DeleteThat is a really adorable idea!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Joanne. It was fun to make!
DeleteThat is so very cute, what a nice solution! I love the sunny look.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Cat. I had to think 'out of the box' for this one!
DeleteVery clever! I will be featuring your fairy house on Sundays on Silverado this weekend!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Niky. I appreciate the feature!
DeleteVery clever idea and great execution!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much!
DeleteI adore this, what a fantastic way to solve a common problem. This will be a feature at this weeks Handmade Monday :-)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Julie. I guess necessity really is the mother of invention!
DeleteWhat a great idea! Featured at SSPS #428! Thanks so much for sharing with us!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Melynda. I'll be sure to stop by!
DeleteThis is so cute! I like this idea. We've got a square hole in the wall of our guest room that appeared to have been put there to access a pipe or something, and I do have something in front of it, but this would be even better. Thanks for sharing this with us at Will Blog for Comments #92. Looking forward to seeing what you'll share at #93, which opens Monday.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Jennifer. It's certainly a fun way to solve a problem!
DeleteStopping back in with congratulations! This was one of the most popular posts from the Will Blog for Comments #92 linkup. It will be in the spotlight for the next 2 weeks, starting tonight, and visitors will see it throughout #93, which opens Monday morning. I'm Pinning it for extra visibility. Thanks for being a great part of our linkup. See you next time. :)
DeleteThank you so much, Jennifer!
DeleteThis is not only charming but also clever. I have to share it as this week's feature. I am tempted to make a few of these for my house. #HomeMattersParty
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Donna. I'm sure your grandchildren would love discovering them in your house!
DeleteThis is such a cool idea! I'm totally going to do this from now on if we have any problem spots in our house...which we indeed do.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Lisa. I guess there's always a new way to look at a problem spot and find a solution!
DeleteAnn,
ReplyDeleteI think your solution is simply darling!! I like it much better than the "proper" one!! Great idea!! Thanks so much for visiting...I am playing catch up!!
Hugs,
Deb
Debbie-Dabble blog
Thank you so much, Debbie. There's nothing like a little 'out of the box' thinking!
DeleteThis is adorable Ann, and so spot on for a cozy cottage. I love the idea of little fairies having their own door to enter and exit, and well, it also solves the issue you had. Problem solving with a bit of whimsy sounds perfect to me.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Cara. Sometimes you just have to have a little fun with solving house problems!
Delete