Spoon Rack to Herb Rack

If you grow your own herbs, you know the need for a place to dry them.  Last summer, mine were draped over every surface I could find, so when I found a spoon rack at a little shop last fall, I knew exactly what to do with it.  
Let me begin by saying it wasn't nearly as nice as this.  When I found it, it was outside in a pile of junk, exposed to all the elements.  I started to clean it but stopped myself for a picture.
Pretty gross, huh?  I used Murphy's Oil Soap and a blue scrub pad to get the layers of dirt off of it.
I left it in the sun to dry and it was looking better already!
Next came a little sanding and filling.  The cracks and gaps were filled with wood putty but those cut-outs for the spoons were pretty rough.
I do have a Dremel with some of those handy little sanding attachments, but I was working outside and that meant I'd have to go to the basement to get it.  So I went 'old-school' with some sandpaper wrapped around a pencil. I even used my fancy pencil with the 'gem' on it!   
I was done in no time at all!
Filled, sanded, and ready for paint!
Fortunately the wonderful folks at the American Paint Company had sent me some paint to try and I thought this was a great project to do just that.
The color I chose was Home Plate - a 'not quite white' color.  This paint is very thick and the company recommends mixing some water with the paint in a separate container to the consistency of pancake batter. I did that and the paint went on like a dream.  Here it is after the first coat:
Since I did not use a primer, I applied 2 more coats to get the coverage I wanted.
I really like this paint due to the fact that it is non-toxic and eco-friendly - safe around children and pets!  Since it's winter around here, I did this project in my craft room and there was absolutely no smell.  The clean-up was also a breeze, just a little soap and water and my brush was paint free. 

I distressed the edges and was ready to add a title. To do that, I cut a stencil using my Cricut Maker and some dollar store contact paper.  Once it was in place, I used a stencil brush and dabbed a tiny bit of paint on the stencil.
My trick for preventing paint bleed with stencils is to start with an almost dry brush, dab gently, and as they dry, build up the layers until you have the look you want.
Soon it was done.

The entire rack was sealed with Clear Top Coat from the American Paint Company.  This sealer went on smoothly and dried quickly. 

I had some sage from my garden that was still drying, so  I added it to the herb rack for a photo shoot!
This rack came a long way from a junk pile outside, to an herb rack in my home. 
Thank you to the American Paint Company for the paint used to complete this project.  

*Disclosure: This product was received as a sample. The reviews and or opinions on this blog are 100% my own. No monetary compensation was received and I was not required to write a positive review.

I hope you'll pin, share, comment, and follow.  If you click on those 3 little lines at the top left of the blog, you'll see where to find me...or click on the icon below to share.


Featured at:
Over the Moon


Comments

  1. First off, let me say I'm so sorry about you being sick. I was shocked to read and am sending many prayers your way!

    This turned out great and created a pretty piece.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cindy. I'm hoping this round of antibiotics did the trick.
      I really had my doubts about this piece considering it's original state! I'm so glad you like it.

      Delete
  2. Ann,
    What a great makeover and one that i would have never thought of!! I love that you are looking forward to new adventures this year,,,,I am too now that I can walk better than I have in years!!! Thanks so much for visiting!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie and I'm so glad to hear that your knee surgery was such a success! Here's to new adventures!

      Delete
  3. This turned out so good! I never would have thought of using it as an herb rack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle. I now think I'm going to need a bigger one...Those herbs take up a lot of room when they're drying! lol

      Delete
  4. That is such a clever way to reuse an item that might have ended up in the landfill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Considering it was already in a junk pile, the landfill wasn't far off!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! Your post was my feature pick at #OverTheMoon this week. Each Hostess displays their own features so be sure to visit me on Sunday evening and to see your feature! I invite you to leave more links to be shared and commented upon. Please don’t forget to add your link numbers or post title so we can be sure to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet of you, Marilyn. Thank you so much! I look forward to the next party!

      Delete
  6. Fantastic upcycle! I am aware of the herb drying process. My mother grows a lot of herbs too. Nothing tastier than home grown!

    Michelle
    http://mybijoulifeonline.com
    Thanks for linking up to Creative Compulsions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle. Store herbs don't even come close to home-grown. I love knowing what's in them too - nothing!

      Delete
  7. So cute! Thanks for sharing at All About Home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful transformation! Well done! Thank you for sharing this lovely project at Tuesdays with a Twist. -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marci. I love sharing at your party!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It Really Works!

The Little Stepladder That Could!

Linen Closet Update