The Unfinished Chest

As you know, we sold the Cottage and moved.  Did I mention that our buyer also bought most of our furniture?  Yes, she did, and we were in dire need of someplace to put our clothes.  After much discussion, the decision was made to buy an unfinished piece for me to finish.  Since the new place is small, we started out with one unfinished chest of drawers.

This is how it was delivered:
Yes, I forgot to take that 'before' picture again, so I had to find an image online!

The top was stained with dark walnut stain, followed up with 3 coats of satin polycrylic.
I know you've heard me say I'm not a fan of polycrylic, but that's for tables that get heavy use.  (If you want to read that sad story, click HERE).  Since this is a dresser, polycrylic is a great choice.

Once the top was done, I primed and then painted the dresser in Silver Lining Chalk Paint.  Before I started the drawers, I brushed some walnut stain on those edges so it would show through after distressing.  You can see what I mean in the picture above.  The drawers were painted with chalk paint as well, White and Silver Lining.  At this point, it was looking pretty plain:

A stencil was needed, but there were 2 problems:
1 - I couldn't find one I liked.
2 - They were EXPENSIVE!  Have you priced stencils lately??

Since I'm a problem-solver - HaHa!!  I got out my Cricut and found a vine I liked.  Hit 'cut to page' 2 times and this is what I got:

Starting with the bottom drawer, I did a lot of playing with the pieces before I got out the paint.  Since the stencil was just cardstock, I used the stencil more as a guide and hand-painted the vine.

Here's a close-up of the stencil:

Once the stenciling was done, 3 coats of polycrylic were applied to each drawer.  The knobs were spray-painted white and the dresser was reassembled!

Project complete!  We can now get our clothes out of garbage bags!


I especially love that the stencil didn't cost me a dime.  Have you ever cut your own stencil?  I'd love to hear about your experiences

Don't forget to share, pin, and/or comment.  I'd also love it if you 'liked' Apple Street Crafts on facebook!
Enjoy the long weekend and be sure to stop back again soon.

Featured at:








Linking to:

Comments

  1. Very smart way to save money.Yes stencils are rather expensive, especially good stencils. I have a Cricut but have yet to install it, am pretty digitally challenged. Got stuck at the install, didn't understand what instruction meant and gave up, shame on me.
    Love that vine you used,so simple but very classic,dresser is gorgeous how you used stencil. I would love to use that, would be in style with pretty much anything for long while.
    great job.
    Enjoy your long weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You should check YouTube for videos on setting up your Cricut. Sometimes it nice to have that 'visual'. I'm so glad you stopped by; come back again soon!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely beautiful - it goes with the new duvet cover I bought!! Thanks for sharing on the Pleasures of the NW's DIY party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen. If we lived closer to each other, I could stencil one for you!!
      Always a pleasure to have you stop by!

      Delete
  3. Amazing and beautiful! Love the stencil pattern. I pinned your work of art to my sprucing up living space board on Pinterest. Happy Memorial Day Weekend. Nancy A @
    http://obloggernewbie.blogspot.com/2017/05/tips-to-reduce-clutter-and-organize.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for pinning it, Nancy. I hope you'll come back again soon!

      Delete
  4. This is a beautiful furniture makeover. I love the colors and the stencil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mimi. I just couldn't leave it plain!
      I'm so glad you stopped by and hope you'll come back again soon.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you. So glad you took the time to visit the Cottage!

      Delete
  6. Love that! Are you taking orders...I wish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would take orders, but I think the shipping would be cost-prohibitive! LOL
      Thanks for stopping by - come back again soon!

      Delete
  7. I love it, the stencil is pretty but not overly complicated. The whole piece has turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. I spent a lot of time placing the vines, stepping back, and rearranging - all before painting!
      Stop by again soon, won't you?

      Delete
    2. Hi Ann, just to let you know that your beautiful chest of drawers is one of the features at this weeks #HandmadeMonday. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

      Delete
    3. Thank you! It's always such an honor to be featured, Julie.

      Delete
  8. Looks great... I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Wow, what a great transformation........you were smart to do it yourself, as it is really lovely.......nice piece of furniture.
    You did a super job on this.......
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nellie. So glad you like it!

      Delete
  10. This is very well done Ann! Love it so much and your beautiful chest is one of my features tomorrow at Snickerdoodle Create-Bake-Make Link party! Hope you can join us Saturday!
    ~Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Laurie. It's an honor to be featured!

      Delete
  11. That turned out lovely Ann. The stencil adds just the right touch of class and interest. Wishing lots of love, happiness and thrifty makeovers in your new home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle. Stay tuned to see those wishes come true! ❤😊

      Delete
  12. Very pretty! I love the gray and the white :) Thanks for sharing the project with Creatively Crafty #ccbg :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lydia. Come back again soon for more projects!

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful job, Ann! Love it! Thanks for sharing @Vintage Charm--pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - always a pleasure to party at Vintage Charm!

      Delete
  14. This piece turned out great. Thank you for sharing at Dishing it and Digging it link party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vanessa - Always a fun time at Dishing It & Digging It!

      Delete
  15. This dresser is beautiful. I usually am not a fan of painted furniture, you may have converted me. Thanks for sharing with us at #CCBG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet. I go back and forth - stain/paint. You'll notice I did both on this one!
      I hope you'll come back again soon to see more projects.

      Delete
  16. Love the dresser. I used to do these kinds of things. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. Maybe you should start doing them again. 😉
      Glad you stopped by, come back again soon!

      Delete
  17. This is exactly what I needed to read today, thanks for the inspiration.
    Vintage Coffee Table Sideboard Buffet

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break Out Those Wine Corks!

Wine Cork Wreath

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

No More Polycrylic for My Tables!