Skip to main content

Wine Cork Trivet

Admit it.  You save wine corks.  They're in a jar, a zip-loc bag, or rattling around the junk drawer.  It's time to do something with them.  I've made a large wall hanging and a wreath (I'll show you those another time).  But, this time, I decided to be practical and made a trivet.
How about a little how-to?

First, let me say, I used all natural corks, none of the synthetic ones that are so popular now.  I just don't know how the synthetic corks would hold up against the heat of a casserole dish!

Using my jigsaw, I cut a 9" X 9" square of plywood and sanded the edges. 
So the trivet wouldn't scratch any tables, I cut a piece of felt and glued it to the bottom using regular white school glue.
Since I forgot to take a pic when I did it, here's a look at the felt on the final product.

Out came my collection of corks and I decided on the pattern I wanted on this trivet.  Using E-6000, all of the corks were glued on the plywood. Done, right?  
Not so fast!  The edge had a very "unfinished" look to it:
See what I mean?

I decided to add some sisal rope to the sides to finish it off.  E-6000 was used again and the rope was taped until the glue dried.  I highly recommend doing one side at a time.  It takes longer, but, in the long run, it makes your life easier!
A nice "finished" edge!

You can make these in any size.  I chose the 9" X 9" because the corks fit and I didn't want to cut any of them.  Just a personal preference.
So get out those corks and get busy!  If you're not motivated to create something with your corks, send them my way - I'll take all the corks I can get!  

Thanks for stopping by the Cottage.  Have a lovely week and please feel free to pin, follow, and share!

Linking to:

Comments

  1. I like the rope around the edges - thanks for sharing on the Pleasures of the NW's DIY party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think that was just the finishing touch it needed!

      Delete
  2. So creative and easy! Thanks for sharing and linking up at DI & DI :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori. I'm a huge fan of easy projects.
      I hope you'll stop by again soon!
      Ann

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea! I like the idea of having a cork trivet, very cool!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keri,
      It's easy to do, too!
      So glad you stopped by.
      Ann

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All-Natural Weed Killer - That Works!

Summer is finally here!  The flowers are blooming, the grass is growing, and so are the weeds!

So many times I hear people ask how to kill weeds without harmful chemicals.  Here is my solution:
I start with a 24 ounce spray bottle and cover the bottom with salt.  I held it up to the light so you could see how much salt I use...since I don't measure it! Then, I fill it up with vinegar and add a few drops of dish soap.  Any brand will do since it just helps the solution stick to the leaves.  Shake it up and don't forget to label the bottle. The only thing left to do is spray the weeds.  As you can see, I got this one good and wet. Two hours later... Isn't that amazing?   I've been using this solution for years and it's never let me down.  One thing I will tell you, though, it seems to work better on a sunny day.   Do you have a 'go-to' weed killer?  Be sure to tell us about it in the comments.  As, always, thanks for stopping by and Happy Father's Day to all the …

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

Welcome back!  Last week you saw a garage sale dresser transformed with paint and decoupaged napkins.  If you missed it, click here

Today I have a little tutorial showing how it was done.  Let's get started, shall we?

The drawers were sanded down to bare wood and the edges were painted black to match the rest of the dresser.  The napkins were found at the Dollar Store.
Notice they are 2-ply napkins?  You only need one, so separate those layers! Iron the one-layer.  It helps when you are ready to lay it down on the wet decoupage medium.   Since the napkins were not wide enough to cover the entire drawer, I was going to have to piece them together.  These napkins also had a very definite pattern that was going to need matching, so it was time for some measuring.  I found the middle of the drawer and matched it to the middle of the napkin.  Then I marked the edges of the napkin on the edge of the drawer with chalk.  See the white (chalk) dot? There are actually two of them as guides for …

Spring Grapevine Wreath

You may have heard about all the snow in the northeast.  Fortunately, we didn't get as much as some areas, but the white stuff is still EVERYWHERE!  Since Mother Nature seems to be off her meds again, I created a wreath to encourage her to deliver some Springtime weather.
Last month I bundled up and trudged through the snow to grab some of the vines that were growing wild.  If you missed it, you can read about it HERE.  In addition to the grapevine heart, I made this wreath.   It was an easy process that involved about 9 lengths of vine that were about 6' each.  I started by making a circle with one and winding the vine around it.  I kept adding, winding, and wrapping vines...  ...until I got to a size I liked. The finished wreath is 18 inches in diameter.
I bought 4 bunches of tulips for $2 each and some burlap ribbon for $1.  That's right, the total cost was $9! Since I want to use this wreath for several seasons, the tulips and the bow were attached with wire.  In a few months…