Cheesy Sausage Noodle Casserole
How about a nice casserole to warm you up on a cold winter day? It seems like arctic weather has descended on the entire United States and there is nothing like a casserole to warm you up!
There are 3 reasons why I love this casserole - besides being delicious:
1. It's easy to make.
2. It has veggies in it.
3. It makes enough for 2 meals...so you don't have to cook one night! Isn't that always a bonus?
Here's the recipe:
3 cups of egg noodles
1/4 cup butter
1 red pepper - chopped
2 stalks celery - chopped
1 small onion - chopped
1/4 cup flour
1 tbsp mustard
pepper - to taste - I just sprinkle!
2 1/4 cups milk
1 package of sweet Italian sausage - I bought links and removed the meat from the casings
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp melted butter
1. Spray a rectangular baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Chop the pepper, celery, and onion.
3. Cook the egg noodles according to directions.
4. Cook sausage in skillet, drain on paper towels.
5. In a medium saucepan, melt the 1/4 cup of butter. Add the chopped pepper, celery, & onion. Cook for approximately 10 minutes, or until tender. Stir occasionally.
6. Stir in flour, mustard, & pepper. Slowly stir in milk. Cook & stir until the mixture thickens.
7. Add the sauce, sausage, and cheddar cheese to the cooked noodles. Mix and add to baking dish.
8. In a small bowl, mix breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Stir in melted butter.
9. Sprinkle over the noodle mixture.
10. Cook in pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes.
ENJOY! This casserole is guaranteed to warm you up on a cold day! Give it a try and come back to let me know how your family liked it.
Stay warm, my friends!