I've been searching for one since we moved into the cottage about a year and a half ago and finally found it last fall. It was your typical 1970's two-piece, dark pine hutch, and it was mine! After wrestling it into the basement work area, it was ready for a makeover!
After all that work to get it in there, I wasn't going to ask my husband and neighbor to stack the pieces for a photo, so, here it is in all it's 2-piece glory!
I started on the bottom half by removing the doors, drawers and all of the hardware. The top was sanded, stained a dark walnut, and sealed with two coats of polycrylic. Here's a peek:
The next step was to scuff everything with 220-grit sandpaper and give it two coats of primer. After that, two coats of paint were applied. Here's what I used:
This part was set-aside to "cure" and it was time to start the top. Once again, I removed the doors and hardware, along with the glass. The same process was used to makeover this part.
The hardware was cleaned (you can read that post HERE. and repainted with spray paint.
I noticed a bit of "sparkle" as I was spraying and decided everyone could use a little more sparkle in their lives! Here are some close-ups:
Now, you may be wondering why it took so long to finish this project. If you remember, I found the hutch last Fall. I finished the bottom half in early November and then we did some traveling for the holidays. The top was finished in January and, soon after, I had carpal tunnel surgery. So, it was weeks of work stretched-out over a few months!
I'm very happy with the end product and have been working on washing my glassware, etc. Be sure to stop back later this week to see the hutch "styled".
Thank you for stopping by the Cottage. I hope you'll follow, share and pin! Have a wonderful week!
Linking to:Wonderful Wednesday
Party In Your PJs
Thursday Favorite Things
Create It Thursday
Homemade and Handcrafted
Small Victories Sunday
Trash to Treasure