Skip to main content

"No Chemical" Paint Removal

Hello, my friends!  I meant to post last week, but my vertigo was acting up...you know it's bad when moving your eyes makes you dizzy!  If you suffer from vertigo, you know what I mean.  I suffered for a few days, then, finally tried the Epley Maneuver and was feeling much better the next day.  I'll have to share that in another post.  Now, let's talk about today's project.

Prior to my carpal tunnel surgery, I was busy working on a hutch for my dining room.  While I was painting, I had the brilliant idea to paint the hinges with a brush...yes, I know, not one of my finer moments!  I soon realized that it was a bad idea and was left with hinges thick with paint.  Chemicals were not an option.

I had read that one way to clean off the paint was to use a crockpot. I don't know about you, but I LOVE my crockpot and use it for FOOD!  No painted hinges were going in my crockpot, so I came up with my own solution.

Here's a quick peek at the hardware for one of the doors:
Even though everything wasn't painted, there was varnish (or some sort of finish) on the other pieces.

I grabbed a coffee can out of the recycle bin and place the hardware in the can.  Then, I sprinkled baking soda over all the pieces.

The kettle was filled with water and brought to a boil (on the Cottage's vintage stove).
The boiling water was poured in the can - just enough to cover everything, and the only thing left to do was wait - but, only for a few minutes.
As soon as the water was poured, you could see the baking soda and boiling water starting to work:
After a few minutes, I donned my rubber gloves (that water was HOT) and grabbed the painted hinge.  I rubbed my thumb over it and this is what happened:
Here's another view:
Pretty cool, huh?
Have a look at two of those unpainted pieces:

You can see the varnish peeling right off.

So, there you have it.  Paint & varnish removed.  No harmful chemicals were used, and the coffee can was rinsed out and place back in the recycle bin.  

A win for all, don't you think?

I'm so glad you stopped by and if you made it all the way to the end of this post, have no fear, you will see the finished hutch soon.  My husband needs to get a neighbor to help him carry it upstairs, since my hand isn't quite ready to carry a heavy load!


Have a wonderful week!


Linking to:






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

Welcome back!  Last week you saw a garage sale dresser transformed with paint and decoupaged napkins.  If you missed it, click here

Today I have a little tutorial showing how it was done.  Let's get started, shall we?

The drawers were sanded down to bare wood and the edges were painted black to match the rest of the dresser.  The napkins were found at the Dollar Store.
Notice they are 2-ply napkins?  You only need one, so separate those layers! Iron the one-layer.  It helps when you are ready to lay it down on the wet decoupage medium.   Since the napkins were not wide enough to cover the entire drawer, I was going to have to piece them together.  These napkins also had a very definite pattern that was going to need matching, so it was time for some measuring.  I found the middle of the drawer and matched it to the middle of the napkin.  Then I marked the edges of the napkin on the edge of the drawer with chalk.  See the white (chalk) dot? There are actually two of them as guides for …

All-Natural Weed Killer - That Works!

Summer is finally here!  The flowers are blooming, the grass is growing, and so are the weeds!

So many times I hear people ask how to kill weeds without harmful chemicals.  Here is my solution:
I start with a 24 ounce spray bottle and cover the bottom with salt.  I held it up to the light so you could see how much salt I use...since I don't measure it! Then, I fill it up with vinegar and add a few drops of dish soap.  Any brand will do since it just helps the solution stick to the leaves.  Shake it up and don't forget to label the bottle. The only thing left to do is spray the weeds.  As you can see, I got this one good and wet. Two hours later... Isn't that amazing?   I've been using this solution for years and it's never let me down.  One thing I will tell you, though, it seems to work better on a sunny day.   Do you have a 'go-to' weed killer?  Be sure to tell us about it in the comments.  As, always, thanks for stopping by and Happy Father's Day to all the …

The Water-Logged China Cabinet

Here's the back story on this piece... The storage unit we rented was in an old factory and they were cleaning-out.  When we arrived with the movers (same company) I spotted the china cabinet that had been left out in the rain for a loooong time.  It was warped, split, peeling, and had no glass.  Since I'm an idiot...ahem, love a challenge, I offered to buy it.  The owner told me to take it - no charge.  He also gave me the maple table for free.  If you missed that makeover, click HERE.  Since I had no room for the china cabinet, it sat there until we moved into the new Cottage.  
The china cabinet made it as far as the back porch and as soon as we were 'settled' aka: had a functional kitchen and bathroom, I got to work. The original plan was to reglue the veneer and try to add stain to blend in what was missing.  That plan was tossed aside as soon as I realized the extent of the water damage.  Take a closer look:


The more sanding I did, the more veneer came off. It was s…