Skip to main content

Trash Can to Planter

That's right, my friends.  An old metal trash can was left behind at the cottage.  It looked like this:
Yes, I forgot to take a 'before' pic!
 I had some leftover spray paint from the bar stools, so, I got to work and sprayed the entire can.  Easiest project ever!!!  

I put some plastic containers in the bottom (reused those empty laundry & milk bottles), so I didn't have to fill the entire can with soil (makes it lighter, too), added soil to the top, along with plants and some mulch - project completed!

There was a big dent on the edge that I couldn't pound out, so I turned it to the back.  Here's a peek:

So, there you have it - my upcycle project for this week.  Proof that you 'can' turn trash into treasure.

Have a wonderful week & thank you for stopping by the Cottage!

Linking to:
.

Comments

  1. Hi Ann, you created a great recycle project and picked some great flowers, I love those, they always do well. Hope you have a great week!
    Karren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karren - I hated to just throw it out!

      Delete
  2. I love recycle projects AND sparaypaint! What a great idea!
    Thanks for sharing at Something to Talk About!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spray paint makes such a difference - in so many things! Thanks for stopping by, Karen.

      Delete
  3. Love it! Great idea to use all those empty containers, light weight, to take up the bulk of the space...cute planter!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever, wonderful idea! Too bad I don't have an old tin trash can...

    Thank you so much for sharing this at Grandma Ideas Sharing Time link party. It’s a great post! Thank you so much for sharing this at Grandma Ideas Sharing Time link party. (I've pinned it!)

    All the best,
    Nina

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

Welcome back!  Last week you saw a garage sale dresser transformed with paint and decoupaged napkins.  If you missed it, click here

Today I have a little tutorial showing how it was done.  Let's get started, shall we?

The drawers were sanded down to bare wood and the edges were painted black to match the rest of the dresser.  The napkins were found at the Dollar Store.
Notice they are 2-ply napkins?  You only need one, so separate those layers! Iron the one-layer.  It helps when you are ready to lay it down on the wet decoupage medium.   Since the napkins were not wide enough to cover the entire drawer, I was going to have to piece them together.  These napkins also had a very definite pattern that was going to need matching, so it was time for some measuring.  I found the middle of the drawer and matched it to the middle of the napkin.  Then I marked the edges of the napkin on the edge of the drawer with chalk.  See the white (chalk) dot? There are actually two of them as guides for …

All-Natural Weed Killer - That Works!

Summer is finally here!  The flowers are blooming, the grass is growing, and so are the weeds!

So many times I hear people ask how to kill weeds without harmful chemicals.  Here is my solution:
I start with a 24 ounce spray bottle and cover the bottom with salt.  I held it up to the light so you could see how much salt I use...since I don't measure it! Then, I fill it up with vinegar and add a few drops of dish soap.  Any brand will do since it just helps the solution stick to the leaves.  Shake it up and don't forget to label the bottle. The only thing left to do is spray the weeds.  As you can see, I got this one good and wet. Two hours later... Isn't that amazing?   I've been using this solution for years and it's never let me down.  One thing I will tell you, though, it seems to work better on a sunny day.   Do you have a 'go-to' weed killer?  Be sure to tell us about it in the comments.  As, always, thanks for stopping by and Happy Father's Day to all the …

The Water-Logged China Cabinet

Here's the back story on this piece... The storage unit we rented was in an old factory and they were cleaning-out.  When we arrived with the movers (same company) I spotted the china cabinet that had been left out in the rain for a loooong time.  It was warped, split, peeling, and had no glass.  Since I'm an idiot...ahem, love a challenge, I offered to buy it.  The owner told me to take it - no charge.  He also gave me the maple table for free.  If you missed that makeover, click HERE.  Since I had no room for the china cabinet, it sat there until we moved into the new Cottage.  
The china cabinet made it as far as the back porch and as soon as we were 'settled' aka: had a functional kitchen and bathroom, I got to work. The original plan was to reglue the veneer and try to add stain to blend in what was missing.  That plan was tossed aside as soon as I realized the extent of the water damage.  Take a closer look:


The more sanding I did, the more veneer came off. It was s…