Skip to main content

Key Rack to Jewelry Organizer

Projects are in full-swing around here - work on the side porch, flea market finds.... honestly, I'm making a mess!  When they're all done, though, things will be beautiful!  

I couldn't wait to share this one with you - 
I've been looking for a jewelry organizer for a long time.  I've pinned a bunch of them on Pinterest, but I just couldn't find the right thing to upcycle.  That all changed last week when I found an old key rack at the flea market:



It was perfect and I knew EXACTLY what to do with it!


First, I removed the cross-stitch from the center.  I used the cardboard to trace on a piece of needlework plastic canvas - which, by the way, I also found at the flea market - and they gave a piece for free!

I set that aside, so the painting could begin.  I spray painted the edges black since I was planning to distress this piece and I really like contrast. When that was dry, I gave it 3 coats of  white latex. After the white paint dried, it was time to get out the sand paper.  I used scraps from previous projects and got to work:


As you can see, when the sanding was done, I gave it 2 coats of polyacrylic (well, you can't see that!), drilled holes, added 5 cup hooks, and glued in the needlepoint plastic canvas.  

I hung it on the wall, added jewelry, and the project was complete!


Now, I can cross this off my "To-Do" list - unless this one gets too full and I need another one!!  

Thank you for visiting The Cottage - I hope you enjoyed this project and come back again soon to see some more.


Linking to:





Comments

  1. Love how this turned out! Perfect Jewelry organizer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very clever, love it!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Way to see the treasure in that piece!

    ~Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ann, I stopped by to thank you for visiting to share your blog this week on Oh my Heartsie Girl, I hope you are doing well.

    I love how your diy project turned out, its perfect!!
    Wishing you a great week!
    Karren
    xxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out really cute! I love the distressed look on it. Thank you so much for sharing with us at the Merry Monday link party. Hope to see you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful jewelry organizer! I am looking to make something for my necklaces, this is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Katrin.
    You have a lovely blog - just popped over for a peek!
    I hope you'll stop by the Cottage again soon.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

Welcome back!  Last week you saw a garage sale dresser transformed with paint and decoupaged napkins.  If you missed it, click here

Today I have a little tutorial showing how it was done.  Let's get started, shall we?

The drawers were sanded down to bare wood and the edges were painted black to match the rest of the dresser.  The napkins were found at the Dollar Store.
Notice they are 2-ply napkins?  You only need one, so separate those layers! Iron the one-layer.  It helps when you are ready to lay it down on the wet decoupage medium.   Since the napkins were not wide enough to cover the entire drawer, I was going to have to piece them together.  These napkins also had a very definite pattern that was going to need matching, so it was time for some measuring.  I found the middle of the drawer and matched it to the middle of the napkin.  Then I marked the edges of the napkin on the edge of the drawer with chalk.  See the white (chalk) dot? There are actually two of them as guides for …

Spring Grapevine Wreath

You may have heard about all the snow in the northeast.  Fortunately, we didn't get as much as some areas, but the white stuff is still EVERYWHERE!  Since Mother Nature seems to be off her meds again, I created a wreath to encourage her to deliver some Springtime weather.
Last month I bundled up and trudged through the snow to grab some of the vines that were growing wild.  If you missed it, you can read about it HERE.  In addition to the grapevine heart, I made this wreath.   It was an easy process that involved about 9 lengths of vine that were about 6' each.  I started by making a circle with one and winding the vine around it.  I kept adding, winding, and wrapping vines...  ...until I got to a size I liked. The finished wreath is 18 inches in diameter.
I bought 4 bunches of tulips for $2 each and some burlap ribbon for $1.  That's right, the total cost was $9! Since I want to use this wreath for several seasons, the tulips and the bow were attached with wire.  In a few months…

The Poplar Chest of Drawers

It's been a bit of a whirlwind around here with cutting and sanding.  Winter will be here before we know it and it will be too cold for those activities!  
So, I bring to you - this little chest of drawers that was advertised on a garage sale site:
This is a small chest, only about 40 inches tall, but perfect for small-space living.  Advertised on-line, it looked like this: It had that lovely orange, 1940's look, but it was solid wood.  The original plan was to paint it black and give the drawers a lovely stain to show-off the wood grain.  Out came the sander and here's what I found: Poplar!   Poplar is and inexpensive hardwood. The tell-tale green tint gives it away.  It is usually painted because poplar is notorious for being 'blotchy' when stained.   On to Plan B!  After all, it was solid wood and and the drawers were dovetailed. The chest itself was painted with 2 coats of Ink Chalk Paint (available at your local discount store that begins with a 'W'), distres…