Skip to main content

White is Bright

Happy New Year!  I hope you had a wonderful holiday.  Life at the cottage is getting back to normal.  Christmas is packed away, we are healthy, and are now looking at the projects that need to be tackled. Today, I want to share one that was started before the holidays.

The cottage came with a fabulous space in the basement.  The walls were finished in 3/4 inch pine boards, it had a bar, and heat.  The only drawback...it was pretty dark and dated.  Take a look:
This space will be my Craft "Room".

Our neighbor told us that the original owners had many parties here!

Very 1950s, don't you think?


The first step in this project was washing the walls with a rag and Murphy's Oil Soap.  Yes, they needed a good cleaning!  Then came 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of white paint.  

This was a BIG job!  Don't let anyone fool you with a story like, "we painted the walls and it was great".  This took several days with two people working.  Here's a look at the "after":
See that table?  That is my new craft table - more to come on it's transformation.




We decided to leave the stairs and the bar alone, but I plan on updating the red.

We still have more work to do - like I said, "This is a BIG job!"  We are talking about the floor and how we want to style this space.  My Craft Room is unpacked, but, it's just not pretty enough to show you.....yet!

As  we continue to finish this space I'll post updates.  In the meantime, don't you think White is Bright?
Before

After
 

Comments

  1. Looks much, much better! I would have painted the bar too, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought about it, Sue. Maybe white-wash it?

      Delete
  2. Looks amazing. The white is so much better. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh paint the bar also if you haven't already
    since your having a white studio

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

Welcome back!  Last week you saw a garage sale dresser transformed with paint and decoupaged napkins.  If you missed it, click here

Today I have a little tutorial showing how it was done.  Let's get started, shall we?

The drawers were sanded down to bare wood and the edges were painted black to match the rest of the dresser.  The napkins were found at the Dollar Store.
Notice they are 2-ply napkins?  You only need one, so separate those layers! Iron the one-layer.  It helps when you are ready to lay it down on the wet decoupage medium.   Since the napkins were not wide enough to cover the entire drawer, I was going to have to piece them together.  These napkins also had a very definite pattern that was going to need matching, so it was time for some measuring.  I found the middle of the drawer and matched it to the middle of the napkin.  Then I marked the edges of the napkin on the edge of the drawer with chalk.  See the white (chalk) dot? There are actually two of them as guides for …

All-Natural Weed Killer - That Works!

Summer is finally here!  The flowers are blooming, the grass is growing, and so are the weeds!

So many times I hear people ask how to kill weeds without harmful chemicals.  Here is my solution:
I start with a 24 ounce spray bottle and cover the bottom with salt.  I held it up to the light so you could see how much salt I use...since I don't measure it! Then, I fill it up with vinegar and add a few drops of dish soap.  Any brand will do since it just helps the solution stick to the leaves.  Shake it up and don't forget to label the bottle. The only thing left to do is spray the weeds.  As you can see, I got this one good and wet. Two hours later... Isn't that amazing?   I've been using this solution for years and it's never let me down.  One thing I will tell you, though, it seems to work better on a sunny day.   Do you have a 'go-to' weed killer?  Be sure to tell us about it in the comments.  As, always, thanks for stopping by and Happy Father's Day to all the …

The Water-Logged China Cabinet

Here's the back story on this piece... The storage unit we rented was in an old factory and they were cleaning-out.  When we arrived with the movers (same company) I spotted the china cabinet that had been left out in the rain for a loooong time.  It was warped, split, peeling, and had no glass.  Since I'm an idiot...ahem, love a challenge, I offered to buy it.  The owner told me to take it - no charge.  He also gave me the maple table for free.  If you missed that makeover, click HERE.  Since I had no room for the china cabinet, it sat there until we moved into the new Cottage.  
The china cabinet made it as far as the back porch and as soon as we were 'settled' aka: had a functional kitchen and bathroom, I got to work. The original plan was to reglue the veneer and try to add stain to blend in what was missing.  That plan was tossed aside as soon as I realized the extent of the water damage.  Take a closer look:


The more sanding I did, the more veneer came off. It was s…