Upcycled Mail Sorter
This post may contain affiliate links.
There it sat on Marketplace for $5 - taunting me! This little gem stepped right out of the '70's and onto my computer screen. It needed a new life and I was ready to provide it!
This time we are sharing all things 'wood'. I'm happy to host this hop and I hope you'll visit everyone to see what they have to share with you. Their links will be listed at the end of this post.
Now, let's talk about this Marketplace find!
To say this mail sorter was humble would be an understatement. Check out those GIANT knots in the wood.
The first step in giving it a makeover was to take it apart.
There were numerous holes, dents, and scratches. There was also a fair amount of dirt. YUCK!
I hoped to keep the cute little box attached until I noticed that it wasn't centered.
Off with its head!...I mean, time to remove it!
Since there were so many holes, dents, scratches, etc. I decided the new look would be a bit rustic or shabby. I filled as many of the imperfections as I could with wood filler, sanded, and gave it 2 coats of spray paint/primer that was sitting on my shelf.
Then both pieces were given 2 coats of white chalk paint.
The edges were distressed with a sanding sponge.
I discovered some of those edges were a little light in color for my taste, so I touched them up with a little antiquing medium.
Everything was waxed and before I went any further, I attached a sawtooth hanger to the back.
I also reattached that cute little box to the bottom with nails and completely forgot to take a picture! Oops!
The next step was to create the sign. I used some Bass Wood and cut it to size with a utility knife.
Then it was 'stained' with some antiquing medium on a rag.
Chalk paint went right over it.
I designed my graphic on Design Space and cut it with my Maker using stencil vinyl.
Using a stencil brush and craft paint, it started to take shape.
If you've been visiting the Cottage for a while, you know my trick to stenciling with no bleeding - dry-brush the first coat. I then gave it 2 more coats and peeled-off the stencil.
Time to distress the edges of the sign, and guess what? The wood was too light! So I added some antiquing medium to darken the edges.
Time to wax - and I noticed something. The wax removed a little of the black craft paint. I liked it!
Some wood glue attached it to the (former) mail sorter and I used some hammered nail stick-ons to finish the look.
The transformation was complete. Time to decorate!
I chose red geraniums for 3 reasons:
1. I wanted a real 'pop' of color.
2. They've been in my stash for several years.
3. I have a dear friend who LOVES red - this one's for her!
The lesson to be learned today is - Never pass up something that is outdated, ugly, and dirty. Look past those negatives and make it into something pretty!
Before you run off, don't forget this is a blog hop and the rest of the team has some amazing upcycle/recycle/did-it-over projects to share with you. The links are all listed below: