The Peacock Office in a Box
If you're thinking you've heard this before, you are correct! This is not a first, but it is a beauty and I must share it with you. At the end of this post, I will share the links to the original 'Office In a Box'.
But, first, let me welcome you back to the 'Do It Over' Designers blog hop. We are a group of bloggers who love to recycle/upcycle/DIY. I'm so happy to host this blog hop and hope you'll visit everyone to see what they have to share with you. Their links will be listed at the end of this post.
Now, let's talk about that box....
I saw an ad on fb marketplace for a silverware box and when I picked it up I was pleased to see it still contained the silver. It wasn't a complete set and also contained some odd pieces, but for $5 I wasn't complaining. Take a look at this pattern:
Sorry, I digress.....
The box was quite scuffed-up and the veneer on the top was lifting/missing in several places. I knew it wasn't going to be refinished to the original wood.
The sides just needed a good sanding.
Between my orbital sander and hand-sanding, I had the finish off in no time.
The top sanded out better than expected, but there was still some gluing and filling needed.
The faded red velour on the inside was torn out.
And all of the inside surfaces were sanded smooth.
The outside was stained with Red Mahogany and sealed with polycrylic. Pretty easy!
Then I got to work on the inside.
First, I measured the perimeter and depth of the box. I cut a strip of fabric to fit (plus a little extra), folded over the edge, and used Aleen's Tacky glue to hold it in place. Tacky glue was smeared over the entire inside edge of the box.
The strip of fabric was applied.
A piece of fabric was cut to fit the back hinge between the box top and bottom. I did not photograph that step this time, but the details can be found HERE on the original Office in a Box post.
The same process was used to cover the bottom and a large paint stirrer was cut down, covered with fabric, and glued, creating a place for pens.
The inside of the top was also covered.
It was time to turn my attention to the outside again, particularly the top. As I stated before, it was too damaged to save the wood, so I cut a piece of fabric to fit and attached it with Mod Podge.
A length of gold trim was attached with hot glue to cover the raw edge.
The box was done!
I absolutely love repurposing old silverware boxes!
Not only are they pretty, they are very roomy.
This one lives on the table next to my laptop. It holds my notebooks, pens, pencils, highlighter, post-it-notes, you name it. Everything I need is in one place and no, it does not normally look this neat and tidy!
It reminds me of the Queen's Despatch Box - it contains MY important papers. If you watch The Crown, you know what I mean.
The original Office in a Box can be seen HERE.
The story behind it - because there's ALWAYS a story, can be found HERE.
As I said at the beginning of this post this is the 'Do It Over' Designers Blog Hop. Be sure to visit the links below for some amazing inspiration!
I hope you'll pin, share, comment, and follow. If you click on those 3 little lines at the top left of the blog (on the Home page), you'll see where to find me...or click on the icon below to share.