Garden Lights DIY

Spring has arrived and the garden is calling.  We've had so much rain that it's been really difficult to get anything done, so we work between the raindrops.  If you remember from last year,  this house had absolutely no gardens.  Everything was overrun with weeds and as we dug, we found old steps, pavers, and coal.  Needless to say, I was anxious to get started this year.  
We have very large - 30 feet - arborvitaes that give us privacy at the back of our property.  I've always thought they'd look pretty with lights in them, so, naturally, I came up with a plan.   I had some Wine Cup Upcycles a few months ago and now I've got a new one!
So far, I've made two of them and they look so pretty at night!
Here's how I made them.....
You only need a few supplies:
Jute twine, a pair of scissors, solar light top (mine was a broken one), and a wine cup.  If you don't have a wine cup, any small jar should work.  
Start by cutting 4 pieces of jute, no smaller than 48 inches.  Believe me, I tried and I didn't have enough length to tie the final knot.
Fold the 4 pieces in half and tie a knot with a loop.  This will be the loop for hanging your light.  
Separate the twine into 4 pairs:
Tie each pair into a knot several inches below the loop you made. Try to keep the knots even.
This was a shorter hanger, so the knots weren't that far down.
Now, take a strand from adjoining pairs and tie them into a knot several inches down from the first one, again, keeping them even.
Here's the first one done.
Two done.
Three.
All four done.
Next you need to make the final knot for the cup to sit on.  Take all 8 pieces and form one knot.
Your hanger is complete, just add the cup:
I sat the broken solar light on the top and it was a perfect fit.  
If your solar lights aren't a perfect fit, you can glue them or use a bead of caulk to keep them in place.  The other thing I added was a handful of glass gems to give the cups weight.  Since the cups are plastic, I was worried the might 'take flight' in a good wind storm.  
Here they are as it was just getting dark:
Another shot in complete darkness:
I'm off to make some more since I want the trees full of them.  Can you think of a spot in your yard for these? 

I hope you'll pin, share, comment, and follow.  If you click on those 3 little lines at the top right of the blog, you'll see where to find me...or click on 'share'.



Featured at:
Create, Bake, Grow & Gather












Thursday Favorite Things












Share Your Style












Farm Fresh Blog Hop












Homestyle Gathering











Snickerdoodle Create Bake Make








Handmade Monday

Comments

  1. Those are so pretty! I wonder if the little Oui yogurt jars would work... they might be too short.

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, but you could give them a try!

      Delete
  2. These are lovely, I love a few lights in the garden in the summer, and the solar ones are so practical. Plus it's an upcycle so this whole idea is totally my cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine, too, Julie! I love a good upcycle. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Lirtea. I'm so glad you like it!

      Delete
  4. Very lovely! A great idea and they look so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Simona. I'm so glad you stopped by and I hope you'll be back again soon!

      Delete
  5. What an adorable idea!! I have some solar lights that need a home but they aren't that kind....but my dollar store sells those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie! Do I hear the sound of you heading to the dollar store???

      Delete
  6. Very Pretty. I'm picturing myself sipping a glass of wine one under those lights. Thanks for sharing on Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can picture that too, Rhonda! Thanks for stopping by...

      Delete
  7. Visiting from the Homestyle Gathering party and had to pop over to take a closer look. LOVE these! What a great idea for solar garden lights. Pinned :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This are super cute...love how they look at night! Found you on Tuesdays with a Twist and would love to have you share your creativity on Farm Fresh Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lisa, and I'd love to share at Farm Fresh Tuesdays!

      Delete
  9. Oh, those are so adorable! I am pinning and will try to get a few of these made to enjoy while we sit on the deck. Thanks for sharing at Thursday Favorite Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like them, Pam. They'd be great on a deck!

      Delete
  10. These are so adorable! I love lights in the back yard, and I even have a row of Arborvitae, so I guess I know where I'll use them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the perfect spot. Cherryl. I really love lights in the yard too...thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. I have a bunch of jars saved up for craft projects that would be perfect for this! This will be one of my features this Saturday at the Snickerdoodle link party - stop by to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Roseann. I will definitely stop by!

      Delete
  12. A bunch of these would be so pretty hanging in the trees. Pinning. Hope you come over to Merry Monday to share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning to make several and do just that, Erlene. I'd be happy to share!

      Delete
  13. These look great, Ann! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cecelia...always happy to share!

      Delete
  14. Thanks for sharing with us at The Blogger's Pit Stop!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an adorable DIY, Ann! Love how you used twine to do a 'macrame' hanger. I like it much better than the normal macrame. ;-) Hope to see you tomorrow at Tuesday Turn About, the new party at My Wee Abode!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. I thought the twine worked better for outdoors.

      Delete
  16. How very clever and effective you DIY garden lights are Ann. They look so lovely in your tree.
    Thank you for sharing this DIY project at Create, Bake, Grow & Gather this week. I'm delighted to be featuring your garden lights at tonight's party and pinning too.
    Hugs,
    Kerryanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kerryanne. I appreciate the feature and the pin!

      Delete
  17. Your garden solar lights are so pretty by day or night! Pinning for inspiration. Thank you for linking up with Tuesday Turn About!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the pin, I'm so glad you like them!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break Out Those Wine Corks!

Wine Cork Wreath

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

No More Polycrylic for My Tables!