Homemade Bagels

We've taken a turn toward healthier eating around the Cottage and that means eating foods with less ingredients.  Have you ever looked at the ingredient list on a loaf of bread or a package of bagels?  It's a little scary.....since we have a bread machine, we decided to start making our own.  Today, I'd like to share our recipe for making bagels that taste so much better.  Let's get started....
The ingredients are quite simple:
Start with the dry ingredients first:
3 C  all-purpose flour
2 tsp.  yeast
2 Tbsp. honey or sugar
1 & 1/2 tsp. salt
1 & 1/8 C warm water
Add them to the bread machine and let it do its thing!
When the dough is done, I let it rest for a minute on waxed paper.
Then it is cut into 8 (kinda) even pieces:
Each piece is rounded into a ball:
With my thumb, a hole is made in the middle:
And the bagels are placed on a floured baking sheet.
They are covered with a towel and placed in a 200 degree oven for 25 minutes to rise.
Here's how they look at this point:
Boil some water in a skillet with some baking soda sprinkled in it.  I literally scatter 2 pinches in the skillet.  The bagels need to be boiled for 30 seconds on each side.
Place them on a towel to absorb some of the moisture from boiling and then on a parchment paper-covered baking sheet. Brush them with a little egg wash.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes and this is how they look when they come out:


I love the fact that there are only 5 ingredients in these bagels and I can pronounce all of them!  I also love that they taste delicious, especially right out of the oven with butter.....or cream cheese.....or homemade jam.....you get the idea!
I hope you'll give them a try.  They are delicious and with less ingredients, I'm pretty sure they're healthier.  

I hope you'll pin, share, comment, and follow.  If you click on those 3 little lines at the top right of the blog, you'll see where to find me...or click on 'share'.  

Comments

  1. Wow! They look so good. I am definitely going to try this! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. They really are delicious and I love the fact that I know what's in them!
      Have a great week.

      Delete
  2. They look delicious! I have never made bagels before so it might be time for me to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do give them a try...they are so much better!
      Thank you for stopping by the Cottage.

      Delete
  3. Those do sound yummy! I just made some easy no-rise/boil bagels the other day and Loved them. I'm going to have to try these (as I miss the crunchy skin of boiled bagels). Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  4. Wow--I'm amazed this is so easy! I am going to have to try this. Pinning. :)
    #inspirememondaylinkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised too, Jennifer. I hope you give them a try...thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. You make it look so easy! Thanks for sharing at the What' s for Dinner party. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to share and they truly are easy. So glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  6. Ann, bagels are a weakness of mine. Your recipe looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Julie. I hope you'll give the recipe a try!

      Delete
  7. My youngest son adores bagels, I'm definitely going to try this out next time he is home from uni. Sadly he went back today after the Easter break so I didn't see this idea in time for these holidays but I can test them out before he's back again in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the best recipe, Julie, I'm sure he'll love them. I'm convinced each time I make them, they get better!

      Delete
  8. Your recipe and tutorial seems very easy. I am pinning to make some this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terrie. We make all our own bread and bagels now - no worries about all the chemicals that are in store-bought, and it just tastes better. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break Out Those Wine Corks!

Wine Cork Wreath

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

No More Polycrylic for My Tables!