Ugly Duckling-Swan Story
I'm back again with a little cabinet that was hiding in the corner of the basement. It was painted a pink/beige color and was pretty dingy. I loved the fact that it was solid wood, the rest of it? Not so much! The top was yellow with a nifty green edging. Quite the choice for a pink cabinet, don't you think?
Guess what came off first. I used a screwdriver and a hammer - gone in no time at all!
Next, the drawer knobs came off and the entire cabinet was scuffed with some 220 on my palm sander.
The cabinet was painted with chalk paint in Peacock, distressed, and waxed. Once again, this paint was purchased in my local discount store for under $5.
Now I had to deal with the top. I cut pallet wood to fit, sanded, dry-brushed some white paint, and stained it to give it a rustic look. I attached it with Liquid Nails and left it to dry overnight.
Then I had to addresss the unfinished edge. After removing the edging, I was left with this:
So I bought some plain wood molding, cut pieces to fit, and gave it the same finish as the pallet wood. Attached it with small nails, gave everything two coats of polycrylic and called it done!
I bought 4 new knobs for the drawers (wasn't crazy about the old ones), attached them, and brought the cabinet out of the basement.
It now sits in my (soon-to-be) new Craft Room, which is being purged and moved out of the basement. You can see the Sahara Chair next to it and soon I'll share the whole room. Right now, it's a work-in-progress.
So, there you have it. An Ugly Duckling turned into a Swan, or, maybe, a Peacock!
I hope you enjoyed this little makeover. I hope you'll share, pin, and follow. There's so much more to share.
Have a wonderful week and thanks for visiting the Cottage!