Skip to main content

It Really Works!

If you're like me, you've read that you can save your Christmas poinsettia for the following year.  There's a series of steps that you look at, say, "Never mind", throw out the poinsettia after Christmas and buy another one the next year.

This year was different...and it looks like it's working:
Here's the story...after Christmas last year (about February) my poinsettia looked like this:
It was still red and, relatively, happy.  I ignored it, for the most part, gave it some water when it was dry, and sometime in March, I cut it back to about 6 inches and let it grow.  I did NOT repot it, or fertilize it.  It sat on my side porch where it got lots of light.  It became very full.
When mid-September arrived, I started putting it in a dark closet at 5:00 pm and took it out at 8:00 am every day.  The only additional thing I did was water it - no special treatment!
I watched for any signs of change and there was....nothing!
Finally, after about 5-6 weeks, I began to see hints of red:
I know the leaves are a lighter green.  That happened over the course of this whole process and the lighting for this pic was much better.  Here's a close-up:
So, there you have it.  The process actually works without any fussing. Just water and darkness overnight in the Fall does the trick.  I'm so excited that this actually worked, since my husband kept telling me he wasn't impressed every time I took it out of the closet!

Have you tried this?  If not, I hope you'll live it a shot this year.  I am proof that it actually works!

Thanks for stopping by the cottage!
Ann

Linking to:

Comments

  1. HI Ann, good to see you pop by the #OMHGWW this week. I love that your Poinsettia is starting to turn, I have seen some stay red year round, not sure how that works. Hope you and your husband are doing well, hope you enjoy the fall weather!
    Karren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karren. I was starting to wonder after a few weeks of nothing happening. I'd love to learn how they can stay red year-round!

      Delete
  2. I had one the same size. I planted it outside and didn't do a anything at all. It's still outside and it starting to turn red. I sort of have a photo of it. Every Monday I add a post about Max, our Lab and this week I made sure the plant was in the photo .

    I'm going to try it this year with another plant! I'll have a yard full of poinsettias!

    Linda
    Best of Long Island and Central Florida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's your secret, Linda? I'm on my way to see your photo! A yard full of poinsettias would be beautiful!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

Welcome back!  Last week you saw a garage sale dresser transformed with paint and decoupaged napkins.  If you missed it, click here

Today I have a little tutorial showing how it was done.  Let's get started, shall we?

The drawers were sanded down to bare wood and the edges were painted black to match the rest of the dresser.  The napkins were found at the Dollar Store.
Notice they are 2-ply napkins?  You only need one, so separate those layers! Iron the one-layer.  It helps when you are ready to lay it down on the wet decoupage medium.   Since the napkins were not wide enough to cover the entire drawer, I was going to have to piece them together.  These napkins also had a very definite pattern that was going to need matching, so it was time for some measuring.  I found the middle of the drawer and matched it to the middle of the napkin.  Then I marked the edges of the napkin on the edge of the drawer with chalk.  See the white (chalk) dot? There are actually two of them as guides for …

Frankenstein & His Bride

Halloween will be here in a couple of days and if you need a quick craft - I've got you covered!

This was another of my "Spur Of The Moment" ideas.  I was working on a Christmas craft (that I'll share soon) using paint stirrers. This part of the paint stirrer was actually 'scrap' from the other project, but I hated to waste it, so, I grabbed some paint and got to work.  This shade of green wasn't my first choice, but, since this project was 'spur of the moment', and I wasn't running to the store, I couldn't be picky.   After the green paint dried, I painted some black hair and glued on two eyes.  With a sharpie, a nose, mouth, and some scars were added.  On the 'Bride' some red lips and white streaks completed her look.  
So what do you do with them?  Add a magnet to the back and you have a new refrigerator magnet, or, glue a pin on the back and wear it on your jacket.   This would also be a great project to do with kids, don't you …

Candy Corn

October seems to be flying by and before you know it, Halloween will be here.  I had some wood scraps sitting in a pile, so I decided to make some candy corn.  

I made myself a pattern in two different sizes.  

This was a "spur of the moment" project, and it fought me every inch of the way.  For starters, while I was cutting one of them out, it split right down the middle.  Thanks to a little super glue, you can't tell which one, can you?
Next, I started painting and didn't use a base coat/primer.  Needless to say, I needed many coats of paint.  Yes, it was my own fault!
 Finally, I got the paint to cover and I used a sponge to transition one color to the next.  Out came the sander and the candy corn was distressed!
Time for sealer.  While I was spraying, I ended up with a drip. Because I'm so patient - NOT - I decided to fine-sand it off and re-spray it.  Well, I made a mess of it!  Not to be out-smarted by a piece of wood, I drilled a little hole:
Pretty, huh? I grabb…