Skip to main content

Upcycled Apron

It was time to upcycle this old apron.  I haven't been a consultant for the company for about 3 years now and anything with a little weight that hangs on my neck causes me pain.  Soooo, it was time to turn it into this:
This is how it started:
The first step was to draw a chalk line and cut it in half.
I found some scrap fabric and cut it into 3 long sections that were about 7" wide.  After they were sewn together end-to-end I folded the entire piece in half lengthwise and pressed a small hem along each edge.
Next, I marked the middle of this piece and the apron, placed the unfinished edge of the apron along the fold,folded it down, and pinned the entire piece.


The apron was basically done, but I decided the pockets needed a little 'something'.  

I had just enough scrap fabric to make flaps for them, so I drew a quick pattern and went to work.
I added a button to each flap to 'dress it up' and the apron was done! I really wanted black buttons, but I didn't have 2 matching ones in stash of buttons, so the white flower ones won.
So, now I have a new apron that doesn't hurt my neck!

I hope you're having a wonderful weekend.  Thank you for stopping by...please share, pin, comment, etc.  See you again soon!


Linking to:

Comments

  1. What a great update of an apron that wasn't working for you anymore. I love the extra pocket detail you added.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie...amazing what can be done with scraps!

      Delete
  2. I love it you did a wonderful job. It looks great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice upcycle! I hope your new apron gets a lot of use :) Thanks for sharing with us at Creatively Crafty #ccbg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it will, Lydia. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Such a cute idea! Thanks for sharing at the Friday at the Fire Station link-up!
    Jen
    www.afiremanswife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - always happy to share!

      Delete
  5. This is such a cute upcycle, Ann! Thanks for sharing @Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Happy to share at Vintage Charm.

      Delete
  6. This is a great idea, thanks for sharing with us at Sweet Inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pili - I had to find a way to make what I already had, work!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

Welcome back!  Last week you saw a garage sale dresser transformed with paint and decoupaged napkins.  If you missed it, click here

Today I have a little tutorial showing how it was done.  Let's get started, shall we?

The drawers were sanded down to bare wood and the edges were painted black to match the rest of the dresser.  The napkins were found at the Dollar Store.
Notice they are 2-ply napkins?  You only need one, so separate those layers! Iron the one-layer.  It helps when you are ready to lay it down on the wet decoupage medium.   Since the napkins were not wide enough to cover the entire drawer, I was going to have to piece them together.  These napkins also had a very definite pattern that was going to need matching, so it was time for some measuring.  I found the middle of the drawer and matched it to the middle of the napkin.  Then I marked the edges of the napkin on the edge of the drawer with chalk.  See the white (chalk) dot? There are actually two of them as guides for …

All-Natural Weed Killer - That Works!

Summer is finally here!  The flowers are blooming, the grass is growing, and so are the weeds!

So many times I hear people ask how to kill weeds without harmful chemicals.  Here is my solution:
I start with a 24 ounce spray bottle and cover the bottom with salt.  I held it up to the light so you could see how much salt I use...since I don't measure it! Then, I fill it up with vinegar and add a few drops of dish soap.  Any brand will do since it just helps the solution stick to the leaves.  Shake it up and don't forget to label the bottle. The only thing left to do is spray the weeds.  As you can see, I got this one good and wet. Two hours later... Isn't that amazing?   I've been using this solution for years and it's never let me down.  One thing I will tell you, though, it seems to work better on a sunny day.   Do you have a 'go-to' weed killer?  Be sure to tell us about it in the comments.  As, always, thanks for stopping by and Happy Father's Day to all the …

The Water-Logged China Cabinet

Here's the back story on this piece... The storage unit we rented was in an old factory and they were cleaning-out.  When we arrived with the movers (same company) I spotted the china cabinet that had been left out in the rain for a loooong time.  It was warped, split, peeling, and had no glass.  Since I'm an idiot...ahem, love a challenge, I offered to buy it.  The owner told me to take it - no charge.  He also gave me the maple table for free.  If you missed that makeover, click HERE.  Since I had no room for the china cabinet, it sat there until we moved into the new Cottage.  
The china cabinet made it as far as the back porch and as soon as we were 'settled' aka: had a functional kitchen and bathroom, I got to work. The original plan was to reglue the veneer and try to add stain to blend in what was missing.  That plan was tossed aside as soon as I realized the extent of the water damage.  Take a closer look:


The more sanding I did, the more veneer came off. It was s…