Skip to main content

Vintage Screen Redo

I'm not sure if I ever mentioned this, but the screens (and windows) at the cottage are original.  That's right, 75 years old - and to be honest with you, I think they have 75 layers of paint on them, but that's another story.  The biggest problem was the fact that the screens had holes in them - not very effective at keeping out the bugs!
Let's not overlook the paint that was all over the edges:
The first order of business was removing the thin moldings around the screen - no rubber spline here, folks, this is VINTAGE!  The goal was to remove it without cracking, splitting, or breaking it, soooo, I started by scoring through the 75 layers of paint...
...and gently lifting the moldings:

SUCCESS!
A few of the finishing nails stayed put, so they had to be pulled out
Along with the staples - there must have been 100!
The frame and moldings were scraped, painted and left to dry:
It was finally time to rescreen!  The new screening was layed across the frame, stapled, stretched, and stapled again.
The screen was trimmed and the freshly painted moldings were reattached:


The screen was finished!

DISCLAIMER:  I can not take full credit.  I have a wonderful husband who also worked on this project.  He helped remove all of the staples, did the scraping/painting, stapled, while I stretched the screen, and tapped in those tiny nails that reattached the moldings.  He is the BEST!!

People ask us why we don't get new windows and our answer is, these are just too cool!  To be honest, with a little love and attention, these are just as effective as new ones.  We are inspired by Nicole Curtis - she always tries to keep things original.

That being said, thank you for stopping by the Cottage.  I hope you'll stop by again soon!

Have a great week!


Linking to:















Comments

  1. Wow, you did a wonderful job! I applaud your hard work, I get so frustrated with our backdoor screen and I am so tempted to just buy a new one, but maybe after seeing yours I might use my brain and think of ways I can fix and update it.

    Thanks for the inspiration!! I will definitely be sharing this post on my R & R facebook page too, this deserves to be seen.

    XO,
    Christine
    www.rustic-refined.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to inspire, Christine. Thank you so much for stopping by - and sharing on fb!

      Delete
  2. Nice job... there is certainly something to be said for the older things... much more character and interest. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - we have LOTS of character around here! LOL

      Delete
  3. You guys are wonderful to preserve the original!! Like Joy said, character!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karren. We are working on lots of preservation!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All-Natural Weed Killer - That Works!

Summer is finally here!  The flowers are blooming, the grass is growing, and so are the weeds!

So many times I hear people ask how to kill weeds without harmful chemicals.  Here is my solution:
I start with a 24 ounce spray bottle and cover the bottom with salt.  I held it up to the light so you could see how much salt I use...since I don't measure it! Then, I fill it up with vinegar and add a few drops of dish soap.  Any brand will do since it just helps the solution stick to the leaves.  Shake it up and don't forget to label the bottle. The only thing left to do is spray the weeds.  As you can see, I got this one good and wet. Two hours later... Isn't that amazing?   I've been using this solution for years and it's never let me down.  One thing I will tell you, though, it seems to work better on a sunny day.   Do you have a 'go-to' weed killer?  Be sure to tell us about it in the comments.  As, always, thanks for stopping by and Happy Father's Day to all the …

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

Welcome back!  Last week you saw a garage sale dresser transformed with paint and decoupaged napkins.  If you missed it, click here

Today I have a little tutorial showing how it was done.  Let's get started, shall we?

The drawers were sanded down to bare wood and the edges were painted black to match the rest of the dresser.  The napkins were found at the Dollar Store.
Notice they are 2-ply napkins?  You only need one, so separate those layers! Iron the one-layer.  It helps when you are ready to lay it down on the wet decoupage medium.   Since the napkins were not wide enough to cover the entire drawer, I was going to have to piece them together.  These napkins also had a very definite pattern that was going to need matching, so it was time for some measuring.  I found the middle of the drawer and matched it to the middle of the napkin.  Then I marked the edges of the napkin on the edge of the drawer with chalk.  See the white (chalk) dot? There are actually two of them as guides for …

Spring Grapevine Wreath

You may have heard about all the snow in the northeast.  Fortunately, we didn't get as much as some areas, but the white stuff is still EVERYWHERE!  Since Mother Nature seems to be off her meds again, I created a wreath to encourage her to deliver some Springtime weather.
Last month I bundled up and trudged through the snow to grab some of the vines that were growing wild.  If you missed it, you can read about it HERE.  In addition to the grapevine heart, I made this wreath.   It was an easy process that involved about 9 lengths of vine that were about 6' each.  I started by making a circle with one and winding the vine around it.  I kept adding, winding, and wrapping vines...  ...until I got to a size I liked. The finished wreath is 18 inches in diameter.
I bought 4 bunches of tulips for $2 each and some burlap ribbon for $1.  That's right, the total cost was $9! Since I want to use this wreath for several seasons, the tulips and the bow were attached with wire.  In a few months…