Skip to main content

The Dining Room Blues

The only thing "blue" about this room is the color!  When we bought the cottage, the walls were a very tired antique white.  Since this room gets the morning sun, I thought a pale blue would be beautiful.  
Naturally, I forgot to take a "before" picture, but here is one that I took when we first saw the house:

Now take a look after painting, but, before our furniture arrived:

Notice the blinds on every window?  They are gone now:

Finding a hutch to put on that wall on the left is on my to-do list.  In the meantime, my redone farm table and ice cream parlor chairs take center stage. On a side-note, this pic was taken on a cloudy day, yet the room is still bright and cheery. 

You are probably asking, "What color is the paint - you didn't tell us!"  It's Aqua Inlet - BHG103 mixed at Walmart. 

Thanks for stopping by the cottage.  I hope you'll consider following and leaving a comment for this new blog.  It would be most appreciated!  

Have a great weekend!

Linking up to:
Wordless Wednesday - I'm a Co-Host

The Handmade Hangout - A Glimpse Inside


  1. I love it and the no blinds is a great look!

  2. Love it...paint color is perfect!!!

  3. Great choice of color it looks perfect and I love love love the picture on the wall!!! Stop by and share on my weekend party add you post!!! Wishing you a great weekend, Karren

    1. Thanks, Karren! That picture is one of my favorite things!

  4. LOVE that farm house table with the ice cream parlor chairs...they are PERFECT together in your beautiful blue room! Also love the red geraniums in the pail...geraniums and hydrangeas are my favorite flowers. :)

    1. Thanks, Becky! I just love my ice cream parlor chairs!

  5. love the dining room so beautiful thanks for sharing


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

Welcome back!  Last week you saw a garage sale dresser transformed with paint and decoupaged napkins.  If you missed it, click here

Today I have a little tutorial showing how it was done.  Let's get started, shall we?

The drawers were sanded down to bare wood and the edges were painted black to match the rest of the dresser.  The napkins were found at the Dollar Store.
Notice they are 2-ply napkins?  You only need one, so separate those layers! Iron the one-layer.  It helps when you are ready to lay it down on the wet decoupage medium.   Since the napkins were not wide enough to cover the entire drawer, I was going to have to piece them together.  These napkins also had a very definite pattern that was going to need matching, so it was time for some measuring.  I found the middle of the drawer and matched it to the middle of the napkin.  Then I marked the edges of the napkin on the edge of the drawer with chalk.  See the white (chalk) dot? There are actually two of them as guides for …

Spring Grapevine Wreath

You may have heard about all the snow in the northeast.  Fortunately, we didn't get as much as some areas, but the white stuff is still EVERYWHERE!  Since Mother Nature seems to be off her meds again, I created a wreath to encourage her to deliver some Springtime weather.
Last month I bundled up and trudged through the snow to grab some of the vines that were growing wild.  If you missed it, you can read about it HERE.  In addition to the grapevine heart, I made this wreath.   It was an easy process that involved about 9 lengths of vine that were about 6' each.  I started by making a circle with one and winding the vine around it.  I kept adding, winding, and wrapping vines...  ...until I got to a size I liked. The finished wreath is 18 inches in diameter.
I bought 4 bunches of tulips for $2 each and some burlap ribbon for $1.  That's right, the total cost was $9! Since I want to use this wreath for several seasons, the tulips and the bow were attached with wire.  In a few months…

The Poplar Chest of Drawers

It's been a bit of a whirlwind around here with cutting and sanding.  Winter will be here before we know it and it will be too cold for those activities!  
So, I bring to you - this little chest of drawers that was advertised on a garage sale site:
This is a small chest, only about 40 inches tall, but perfect for small-space living.  Advertised on-line, it looked like this: It had that lovely orange, 1940's look, but it was solid wood.  The original plan was to paint it black and give the drawers a lovely stain to show-off the wood grain.  Out came the sander and here's what I found: Poplar!   Poplar is and inexpensive hardwood. The tell-tale green tint gives it away.  It is usually painted because poplar is notorious for being 'blotchy' when stained.   On to Plan B!  After all, it was solid wood and and the drawers were dovetailed. The chest itself was painted with 2 coats of Ink Chalk Paint (available at your local discount store that begins with a 'W'), distres…