Vintage Washboard Upcycle

 Vintage washboards seem to show up everywhere - yard sales, estate sales, thrift stores, you name it, you're bound to find one.  I was fortunate enough to have two given to me by my 'Fairy Godmother'.  I added a wooden dowel to the bottom of one and it went off to a new home before I got a photo of it.  Today I want to show you what I did with the one that was damaged and show you that you can still work with something that is 'less than perfect'.  

Welcome back to the 'Do It Over' Designers blog hop.  We are a group of bloggers who love to recycle/upcycle/DIY.  I'm so happy to host this blog hop and hope you'll visit everyone to see what they have to share with you.  Their links will be listed at the end of this post. 

Let's take a look at those washboards...
The one in front was in pretty good shape besides being covered in wet/dried paper.  It looked like the paper had been placed over it (many years ago), got wet and then dried (several times, I'm sure), leaving the paper embedded in the wood.  It took me  forever to get it all off.  But the one in back is the one we're talking about today - the one with the metal rusted through.

The perfect way to hide the damage was camouflage and I had an idea.  
I grabbed an old bread pan that was found at an estate sale this summer that was the perfect size.  After marking where I wanted to attach the pan, the holes were drilled.
Here's a little tip for you.  Before you drill, measure how far you want the screw to go by holding it next to the drill bit.  Wrap the bit with tape so you know when to stop. There's nothing worse than drilling too far....trust me on this one.
The next step was attaching the bread pan to the washboard.
Assembly was complete!
Now, I'm sure you're thinking that that rusted-out spot is still in plain sight.  But, it's not done yet.....Once the bread-pan is filled with flowers, it magically disappears!
Taa-Daa!
There are lots of ways this could be used.  I used some seasonal flowers that I already had, but I could see succulents growing in the bread pan, herbs for cooking, or a beautiful house plant.    
No matter how it's used, it's another piece of 'vintage' in my home and keeps one more thing out of the landfill....yes, my Fairy Godmother almost threw them in the dumpster, but then she thought of me.

  I hope you'll pin, share, comment, and follow.  If you click on those 3 little lines at the top left of the blog (on the Home page), you'll see where to find me...or click on the icon below to share.
It's time for more ideas and my friends have lots of them for you.  Be sure to visit them and see what they've been upcycling/recycling/DIYing.  Here are the links:

Little Vintage Cottage
Purple Hues & Me

Comments

  1. Very cool, Ann! We had tons of these around the house when I was growing up. So many memories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see them all the time and actually have a larger one in my laundry room. The fact that the bread pan was the perfect size made it a great project for me!

      Delete
  2. Oh boy, did this bring back memories of my early childhood. My mom used one before we got a washing machine with the wringers - I know I'm dating myself! Lol! But you did a fabulous job in updating this one. Taking it up a notch with the flower planter! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gail. I plan to change it out for each season. As far as 'dating yourself', I have no ideas what you're talking about....😉

      Delete
  3. Very clever. Love the flowers and I can imagine it with a Christmas arrangement, too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patti. I plan to change it for each season...gotta cover that hole!

      Delete
  4. This is clever and I could see succulents in the summer trailing out of the pan.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. The big question will be real or faux?

      Delete
  5. Love it! I love those old washboards. I have one in my laundry room that I added a little shelf to in the same place you added the pan :)

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I also have one in my laundry room but I haven't done anything to it. It may be next on the list!

      Delete
  6. Great upcycle! I love vintage tin in all forms. You can decorate it for all the seasons! xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one has seen better days, but I tried to make the best of it.

      Delete
  7. I love functional upcycle projects. Ann, You have given a new life to the washboard. Looks really cool.
    Thank you linking up at Meraki.
    Naush

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun idea! I love the idea of succulents or herbs in it!
    www.chezmireillefashiontravelmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great upcycle Ann! I will be on the search for a washboard now! This would be the perfect thing to add to the elements I can change for each season. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denice and I'm always happy to inspire! I hope you'll visit again soon.

      Delete
  10. Cecelia,
    Great idea! I still have one more wash board left from the 3 that I took from my neighbor's house when cleaning it out for her sons..Thanks for the inspiration!!
    Thanks to for stopping by!!
    Have a good day!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're fun hanging on the wall, but better when they're useful!

      Delete
  11. Me again....I apologize for the wrong name...I got confused. ANN!!!! LOL!! A senior moment!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really great save and upcycle! Thanks for linking up with me.

    Michelle
    https://mybijoulifeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice result from your washboard project. We will feature this post on the next Blogger's Pit Stop.
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kathleen. I'm excited to see it featured!

      Delete
  14. Oh my how sweet! I have this same washboard and I'm using it as a picture holder with magnets. I'm so doing this. I think i can still leave the pictures on. Love this so much. I'd love to have you share this at our Everything Fall 2020 link party which is open all through October. Bring your other wonderful fall ideas also!! Best wishes Linda @crafts a La mode
    https://www.craftsalamode.com/2020/09/everything-fall-2020.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Linda. I just linked-up!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break Out Those Wine Corks!

Wine Cork Wreath

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

No More Polycrylic for My Tables!