Skip to main content

Reuse Those Jars

I've been looking at my empty mayo jars for awhile now and finally, it occurred to me - perfect for storing rice!  
If you buy your rice in a bag, you know pouring it out can be tricky - yes, I've dumped it on the counter a few times and then there's the issue of the bag sitting on the shelf.  A 30 oz. mayo jar is the perfect solution.  It holds a lot of rice, is a great fit for your hand, and the lid makes a great seal. The only drawback?  It's not very pretty.
The easy solution is scrapbook paper.  A 12" x 3" strip fits perfectly around the jar.  I even used the adhesive that was leftover from removing the original label.  It doesn't get any easier than that!
To 'pretty-it-up' a little more, I wrapped some Baker's Twine around the jar and added a button. 
I punched a 2&1/2" circle for the lid and glued it on.  The jar was done!  Prettied-up enough, but not too much that it makes it difficult to handle.

The jars could be used for lots of other pantry staples and lined up on a shelf, don't you think?   So, tell me, what have you reused or repurposed recently?  I'd love to hear your ideas.

Have a great week, everyone and thanks for stopping by the Cottage.


I hope you'll pin, share, comment, and follow.  If you click on those 3 little lines at the top right of the blog, you'll see where to find me!

Featured at:


Linking to:



Comments

  1. I love the flair you put on the jars. Not just plain! Good idea. #sundaybest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracy. I still wanted to be able to handle it!
      Glad you like it.

      Delete
  2. Very cute! I reused a coffee creamer plastic bottle as a bird seed holder. The lid has a pour spout so it makes it easy to pour the bird seed out into the feeder.

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Tania! Those spouts make things SO much easier.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Fácil y queda muy bien.
    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lirtea. I'm so glad you stopped by the Cottage, come back again soon, won't you?

      Delete
  4. What a great repurposing project! Thanks for sharing at the To Grandma's House We Go DIY, Crafts, Recipes and More Link Party! Hope to see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

Welcome back!  Last week you saw a garage sale dresser transformed with paint and decoupaged napkins.  If you missed it, click here

Today I have a little tutorial showing how it was done.  Let's get started, shall we?

The drawers were sanded down to bare wood and the edges were painted black to match the rest of the dresser.  The napkins were found at the Dollar Store.
Notice they are 2-ply napkins?  You only need one, so separate those layers! Iron the one-layer.  It helps when you are ready to lay it down on the wet decoupage medium.   Since the napkins were not wide enough to cover the entire drawer, I was going to have to piece them together.  These napkins also had a very definite pattern that was going to need matching, so it was time for some measuring.  I found the middle of the drawer and matched it to the middle of the napkin.  Then I marked the edges of the napkin on the edge of the drawer with chalk.  See the white (chalk) dot? There are actually two of them as guides for …

Spring Grapevine Wreath

You may have heard about all the snow in the northeast.  Fortunately, we didn't get as much as some areas, but the white stuff is still EVERYWHERE!  Since Mother Nature seems to be off her meds again, I created a wreath to encourage her to deliver some Springtime weather.
Last month I bundled up and trudged through the snow to grab some of the vines that were growing wild.  If you missed it, you can read about it HERE.  In addition to the grapevine heart, I made this wreath.   It was an easy process that involved about 9 lengths of vine that were about 6' each.  I started by making a circle with one and winding the vine around it.  I kept adding, winding, and wrapping vines...  ...until I got to a size I liked. The finished wreath is 18 inches in diameter.
I bought 4 bunches of tulips for $2 each and some burlap ribbon for $1.  That's right, the total cost was $9! Since I want to use this wreath for several seasons, the tulips and the bow were attached with wire.  In a few months…

The Poplar Chest of Drawers

It's been a bit of a whirlwind around here with cutting and sanding.  Winter will be here before we know it and it will be too cold for those activities!  
So, I bring to you - this little chest of drawers that was advertised on a garage sale site:
This is a small chest, only about 40 inches tall, but perfect for small-space living.  Advertised on-line, it looked like this: It had that lovely orange, 1940's look, but it was solid wood.  The original plan was to paint it black and give the drawers a lovely stain to show-off the wood grain.  Out came the sander and here's what I found: Poplar!   Poplar is and inexpensive hardwood. The tell-tale green tint gives it away.  It is usually painted because poplar is notorious for being 'blotchy' when stained.   On to Plan B!  After all, it was solid wood and and the drawers were dovetailed. The chest itself was painted with 2 coats of Ink Chalk Paint (available at your local discount store that begins with a 'W'), distres…