The Poplar Chest of Drawers

It's been a bit of a whirlwind around here with cutting and sanding.  Winter will be here before we know it and it will be too cold for those activities!  
So, I bring to you - this little chest of drawers that was advertised on a garage sale site:
This is a small chest, only about 40 inches tall, but perfect for small-space living.  Advertised on-line, it looked like this:
It had that lovely orange, 1940's look, but it was solid wood.  The original plan was to paint it black and give the drawers a lovely stain to show-off the wood grain.  Out came the sander and here's what I found:
Poplar!  
Poplar is and inexpensive hardwood. The tell-tale green tint gives it away.  It is usually painted because poplar is notorious for being 'blotchy' when stained.  
On to Plan B!  After all, it was solid wood and and the drawers were dovetailed.
The chest itself was painted with 2 coats of Ink Chalk Paint (available at your local discount store that begins with a 'W'), distressed, and then given 2 coats of satin polycrylic.  
It was then time to finish the drawers.  I wanted to do something different, so I painted the edges black and decoupaged the fronts with paper napkins.  I'm putting together a little tutorial on that process since I learned a few tricks while doing it.  Be sure to stop back for that post!


The knobs were also painted, distressed, and given 2 coats of polycrylic.  
Since the chest was scuffed, the distressing showed some bare wood and some of the previous finish.

In spite of the fact that this was Plan B, I learned a new technique and love the result.  Even my husband is impressed - he already shared it on facebook!

How many times have you had the perfect plan in your mind and had to scrap it for another one? 
Isn't it wonderful when it turns out to be your favorite?

I'm so glad you stopped by the Cottage for a visit.  I hope you'll be back again soon.  If you aren't already, please follow the Cottage
(you don't want to miss the decoupage tutorial).

Mother Nature is starting to paint a beautiful picture in our part of the country.  Have a wonderful week!









Comments

  1. Gorgeous! I can't wait to find out how you decoupage info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SWEET! Gorgeous job! But I'll have to keep your handy work away from my 80+ Mother! - Our Nextdoor-Neighbour is moving and had put a slightly larger white Dresser out on the Curb last night... However, I have absolutely NO space for it! And, it was a hefty piece... We had just returned from late shopping and at that hour, I wasn't keen on hauling one drawer at a time, in the dark, to my garage that doesn't have the extra space! And/or worse yet, end up with someone else stopping by and hauling off the carcass while I'd be fiddling with the drawers! So, as tempting, I left it to its fate of a better home... [Much to Mother's chagrin!]

    BTW, thanks for the tidbits about Poplar! I rarely see it around here, but still good to know!

    :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa! I know what you mean...so many great finds, so little space! I'll understand if you don't share this post with your Mother, but come back for my other projects, OK?
      Happy to share information about poplar, it can be tricky!
      I'm so glad you stopped by - come back again soon.

      Delete
  3. This is gorgeous, what a fab makeover, seems sometimes plan B is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. Plan B certainly was a winner this time!
      I'm so glad you like it.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful!

    Debby
    Debbygoesshabby.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I really like decoupage. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I'll have to watch your how to video. Your discourage looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. No video, but I took lots of pics while I was working on it!

      Delete
  7. This turned out beautifully. Thanks for sharing on Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ypur bureau came out beautifully. You did a fantastic job with the decoupage, especially matching the patterns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. It's really an easy process - come back this weekend for the tutorial!

      Delete
  9. This is just beautiful - I see so many restoration blog posts and often think it looked better before it was "restored". In your case, this is just gorgeous and I'd have it in my home tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Leanne. This was a new venture for me and I'm pretty pleased with it - I hope you'll visit again soon to see my other projects!
      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  10. WOW...I LOVE this dresser. I can't believe those are napkins! I can't wait for your tutorial on how you did that. That looks gorgeous. I love that green with black. Bravo..beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it, Kathleen, stay-tuned the tutorial should be posted this weekend! I hope you're following so you don't miss a thing.
      Have a great weekend.

      Delete
    2. Just followed and can't wait:) Have a great weekend to you too!

      Delete
  11. Beautiful! You did a great job. I love decoupage with pretty napkins especially when the end result is like this! #merrymonday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Shirley. Decoupage and napkins are a great combination! I see more of these projects in my future.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. I think this chest is beautiful! I love the decoupaged napkins on the front, I can't wait to read your post about it. Thank you so much for linking up to Party in Your PJs! I pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. The process is pretty easy!

      Delete
  13. Ann this is the best decoupaged napkin project I've seen! Those birds are so sweet! Thanks for sharing @Vintage Charm--pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is adorable! Love the napkin design you used. Hard to believe the chest is only 40"T. Glad you shared that fact about poplar...I didn't know it had a greenish tint when stained. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a small one, that's what attracted me to it! Poplar is tricky wood to work with...that green grain is a challenge.
      Thank you for stopping by the Cottage. Come back again soon!

      Delete
  15. Such a sweet dresser. Really lovely transformation. Looking forward to your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it...the tutorial went up the other day. Be sure to check it out!

      Delete
  16. Good Morning Ann, I am thrilled to have discovered you. I have an Indian painted chest which I love, but I have never managed to find another one. Your wonderful idea of decoupaging a chest of drawers has given me so much inspiration. I can totally understand why your husband Facebooked this piece.... it is fabulous. Looking at the peacocks, it reminds me of our holidays spent in India.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Daphne. I've become a real fan of decoupage. It can truly transform a piece!

      Delete
  17. Another beautiful makeover!! Truly amazing work!! Love it!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break Out Those Wine Corks!

Wine Cork Wreath

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

No More Polycrylic for My Tables!