Sunday, July 3, 2016

Wine Cork Trivet

Admit it.  You save wine corks.  They're in a jar, a zip-loc bag, or rattling around the junk drawer.  It's time to do something with them.  I've made a large wall hanging and a wreath (I'll show you those another time).  But, this time, I decided to be practical and made a trivet.
How about a little how-to?

First, let me say, I used all natural corks, none of the synthetic ones that are so popular now.  I just don't know how the synthetic corks would hold up against the heat of a casserole dish!

Using my jigsaw, I cut a 9" X 9" square of plywood and sanded the edges. 
So the trivet wouldn't scratch any tables, I cut a piece of felt and glued it to the bottom using regular white school glue.
Since I forgot to take a pic when I did it, here's a look at the felt on the final product.

Out came my collection of corks and I decided on the pattern I wanted on this trivet.  Using E-6000, all of the corks were glued on the plywood. Done, right?  
Not so fast!  The edge had a very "unfinished" look to it:
See what I mean?

I decided to add some sisal rope to the sides to finish it off.  E-6000 was used again and the rope was taped until the glue dried.  I highly recommend doing one side at a time.  It takes longer, but, in the long run, it makes your life easier!
A nice "finished" edge!

You can make these in any size.  I chose the 9" X 9" because the corks fit and I didn't want to cut any of them.  Just a personal preference.
So get out those corks and get busy!  If you're not motivated to create something with your corks, send them my way - I'll take all the corks I can get!  

Thanks for stopping by the Cottage.  Have a lovely week and please feel free to pin, follow, and share!

Linking to:

6 comments:

  1. I like the rope around the edges - thanks for sharing on the Pleasures of the NW's DIY party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think that was just the finishing touch it needed!

      Delete
  2. So creative and easy! Thanks for sharing and linking up at DI & DI :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori. I'm a huge fan of easy projects.
      I hope you'll stop by again soon!
      Ann

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea! I like the idea of having a cork trivet, very cool!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keri,
      It's easy to do, too!
      So glad you stopped by.
      Ann

      Delete