How to Make a Windchime...With Keys

Fall is upon us.  I'm convinced, since I could hear the dry leaves rustling as they blew down the street yesterday - even though the temperature was in the high 80s and it was humid!  In spite of that, the project list is growing and I wanted to share this quick and easy one before I got tied-up with the bigger ones.

I found some old keys and embroidery hoops at the flea market and immediately thought, "Windchime"!
This is a very easy project.  You need keys, a small embroidery hoop, a pen, fishing line, and a lit candle.

I started by deciding how to space the keys (I used 10) around the hoop and marked each spot with a dot from a pen.  I drilled the holes, sanded any rough edges, and was ready for the next step.
I cut a length of fishing line and tied it to each key.  I melted the end in the candle flame to keep the knot from slipping - an old trick that my Dad taught me!
Then, the other end of the fishing line was threaded through a hole drilled in the embroidery hoop, knotted, and melted in the candle flame. Repeat 9 more times. 
I cut 2 more lengths of fishing line, threaded them through opposite holes, lifted them and the windchime.  When it looked balanced, I made a knot and, once again, melted the ends in the flame.  
Done!
Here's a close-up of the keys:

This is an easy project that can be completed in under one hour.  So, the next time you see old keys, grab them!

I also made another one since I bought 20 keys and 2 hoops. 

My husband says I should sell this one.

That's all for today.  I have lots of work waiting for me...it involves scraping, sanding, glazing, and painting.  With the hot weather predicted for today, I think the cool basement sounds like a great place to be!

If you like this project, I hope you'll follow The Apple Street Cottage to see more, and, don't forget to share!

Have a great week and thank you for stopping by the Cottage!


Comments

  1. That is so cute!! Love it.....I bet the sounds it makes are just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable and so clever! I love wind chimes and this is great!
    Thanks so much for sharing at Something to Talk About!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea! I love it, thanks for sharing! Visiting from Shabbilicious Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Very unique and super cute! And I love the sound of wind chimes... so soothing! ...thanks for visiting me and for leaving the kind comment! Hope you'll drop in again! :) ~Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the keys that you used. I have a bunch of old keys and now I know what to do with them!!

    Thanks so much for sharing them on my Grandma Ideas Sharing Time link party. I'll be featuring your little cuties at my link party tomorrow!

    (P.S. to make a comment, I had to sign into my Google account so you might not recognize that e-mail address . . .)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the keys that you used. I have a bunch of old keys and now I know what to do with them!!

    Thanks so much for sharing them on my Grandma Ideas Sharing Time link party. I'll be featuring your little cuties at my link party tomorrow!

    (P.S. to make a comment, I had to sign into my Google account so you might not recognize that e-mail address . . .)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ann! :)
    Such a pretty idea.
    Such a great way to use up old key collections! And I bet the sound is really nice.
    Kimberley

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am trying to assemble my key windchime. I have some very small keys that I am starting with. Then will add bigger ones.I am using fishing line and I cannot see how this is not going to get tangled. Ideas?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break Out Those Wine Corks!

Wine Cork Wreath

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

No More Polycrylic for My Tables!