Skip to main content

Redhead Redo

Welcome back!  Today I want to show you a dresser redo that I recently completed.  Since we did not bring our bedroom furniture with us when we moved, we needed a place for clothes!
This little beauty was found in a local antique store at a reasonable price.  It had a lot going for it:
solid wood
in fairly decent shape
no SMELL!  That's a biggie for me!
Although, she was a redhead - not the color I was looking for, and the knobs?  Well, a little large for me.
So, what did I do???  I sanded and taped-off the top, the top decorative molding, and the piece around the middle (don't you love my technical terms?) and stained them a dark walnut.  The rest of the dresser and the drawers were scuffed and painted white.

Let me just share something with you.  I've read tons of posts on repainting furniture that sound quick and easy.  This project was easy, but not quick!  I used 2 coats of latex primer and 3 coats of white latex paint.  I also used a brush. Spending big bucks on a paint sprayer just is not in my budget!
Although I am very happy with the results, this is not a project that will completed in a day.  I don't want to mislead anyone!
Here she is, all done.  I purchased new knobs...they're not cheap either!  Have no fear, the old ones will be recycled into something new.
Now we have a place for clothes - No more crates!!!  It's the little things that make me happy.

I hope you're having a wonderful week.  Stay warm, winter seems to be here!

Linking to:

Comments

  1. What an absolutely great transformation! Thanks so much for sharing it on Merry Monday. I've shared on Twitter & my FB fanpage! Hope you can link up again tonight at 6pm PST.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

Welcome back!  Last week you saw a garage sale dresser transformed with paint and decoupaged napkins.  If you missed it, click here

Today I have a little tutorial showing how it was done.  Let's get started, shall we?

The drawers were sanded down to bare wood and the edges were painted black to match the rest of the dresser.  The napkins were found at the Dollar Store.
Notice they are 2-ply napkins?  You only need one, so separate those layers! Iron the one-layer.  It helps when you are ready to lay it down on the wet decoupage medium.   Since the napkins were not wide enough to cover the entire drawer, I was going to have to piece them together.  These napkins also had a very definite pattern that was going to need matching, so it was time for some measuring.  I found the middle of the drawer and matched it to the middle of the napkin.  Then I marked the edges of the napkin on the edge of the drawer with chalk.  See the white (chalk) dot? There are actually two of them as guides for …

All-Natural Weed Killer - That Works!

Summer is finally here!  The flowers are blooming, the grass is growing, and so are the weeds!

So many times I hear people ask how to kill weeds without harmful chemicals.  Here is my solution:
I start with a 24 ounce spray bottle and cover the bottom with salt.  I held it up to the light so you could see how much salt I use...since I don't measure it! Then, I fill it up with vinegar and add a few drops of dish soap.  Any brand will do since it just helps the solution stick to the leaves.  Shake it up and don't forget to label the bottle. The only thing left to do is spray the weeds.  As you can see, I got this one good and wet. Two hours later... Isn't that amazing?   I've been using this solution for years and it's never let me down.  One thing I will tell you, though, it seems to work better on a sunny day.   Do you have a 'go-to' weed killer?  Be sure to tell us about it in the comments.  As, always, thanks for stopping by and Happy Father's Day to all the …

The Water-Logged China Cabinet

Here's the back story on this piece... The storage unit we rented was in an old factory and they were cleaning-out.  When we arrived with the movers (same company) I spotted the china cabinet that had been left out in the rain for a loooong time.  It was warped, split, peeling, and had no glass.  Since I'm an idiot...ahem, love a challenge, I offered to buy it.  The owner told me to take it - no charge.  He also gave me the maple table for free.  If you missed that makeover, click HERE.  Since I had no room for the china cabinet, it sat there until we moved into the new Cottage.  
The china cabinet made it as far as the back porch and as soon as we were 'settled' aka: had a functional kitchen and bathroom, I got to work. The original plan was to reglue the veneer and try to add stain to blend in what was missing.  That plan was tossed aside as soon as I realized the extent of the water damage.  Take a closer look:


The more sanding I did, the more veneer came off. It was s…