Skip to main content

The $3 Wreath

Yes, you read that correctly!  $3 - that's it.  You know how I love a deal!  
Since there's always a story, here it is... The Craft Room is still packed.  Repainting the basement has begun, so, with a little luck, it may emerge soon!  Keep your fingers crossed for me, OK?

I was really feeling the need to "get my craft on" and, while at the Dollar Store, spotted a small grapevine wreath.  Two flower springs and the wreath came home with me - total: $3.
I had already started shaping the flowers to fit the wreath when this pic was taken.

I needed 2 more items that I KNEW I had...somewhere...packed in a box...burlap ribbon and a hot glue gun.  The ribbon was found in the first box I searched - YES!  The hot glue gun was another story.  I searched through six boxes with no luck.  I knew it was there, but I was trying to avoid totally emptying the boxes because it was IMPOSSIBLE to get everything back in again.  (When I packed them for the cross-country move, it was like playing Tetra - every square inch was filled!)  Finally, the glue gun was found, snug in the bottom corner of a previously searched box!  Whew!

The bow was so easy to make.  Stay tuned for a tutorial for it.  You'll be an expert bow-maker in minutes - I promise!

It was time to assemble the wreath.  The flower stems were shaped, trimmed, and woven into the wreath with a few dabs of hot glue.  The bow was attached with some heavy-duty thread from my sewing box, and that was it.  The wreath was done! 

So there it is, the $3 Wreath!  If you decide to make one, let me know.  I'd love to see your version!

Comments

  1. I love it, I could take the one I have apart and refresh it your pattern. Thanks for sharing, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To Decoupage Dresser Drawers - With Napkins!

Welcome back!  Last week you saw a garage sale dresser transformed with paint and decoupaged napkins.  If you missed it, click here

Today I have a little tutorial showing how it was done.  Let's get started, shall we?

The drawers were sanded down to bare wood and the edges were painted black to match the rest of the dresser.  The napkins were found at the Dollar Store.
Notice they are 2-ply napkins?  You only need one, so separate those layers! Iron the one-layer.  It helps when you are ready to lay it down on the wet decoupage medium.   Since the napkins were not wide enough to cover the entire drawer, I was going to have to piece them together.  These napkins also had a very definite pattern that was going to need matching, so it was time for some measuring.  I found the middle of the drawer and matched it to the middle of the napkin.  Then I marked the edges of the napkin on the edge of the drawer with chalk.  See the white (chalk) dot? There are actually two of them as guides for …

Spring Grapevine Wreath

You may have heard about all the snow in the northeast.  Fortunately, we didn't get as much as some areas, but the white stuff is still EVERYWHERE!  Since Mother Nature seems to be off her meds again, I created a wreath to encourage her to deliver some Springtime weather.
Last month I bundled up and trudged through the snow to grab some of the vines that were growing wild.  If you missed it, you can read about it HERE.  In addition to the grapevine heart, I made this wreath.   It was an easy process that involved about 9 lengths of vine that were about 6' each.  I started by making a circle with one and winding the vine around it.  I kept adding, winding, and wrapping vines...  ...until I got to a size I liked. The finished wreath is 18 inches in diameter.
I bought 4 bunches of tulips for $2 each and some burlap ribbon for $1.  That's right, the total cost was $9! Since I want to use this wreath for several seasons, the tulips and the bow were attached with wire.  In a few months…

The Poplar Chest of Drawers

It's been a bit of a whirlwind around here with cutting and sanding.  Winter will be here before we know it and it will be too cold for those activities!  
So, I bring to you - this little chest of drawers that was advertised on a garage sale site:
This is a small chest, only about 40 inches tall, but perfect for small-space living.  Advertised on-line, it looked like this: It had that lovely orange, 1940's look, but it was solid wood.  The original plan was to paint it black and give the drawers a lovely stain to show-off the wood grain.  Out came the sander and here's what I found: Poplar!   Poplar is and inexpensive hardwood. The tell-tale green tint gives it away.  It is usually painted because poplar is notorious for being 'blotchy' when stained.   On to Plan B!  After all, it was solid wood and and the drawers were dovetailed. The chest itself was painted with 2 coats of Ink Chalk Paint (available at your local discount store that begins with a 'W'), distres…